Catalina

Started by IAN JACKSON · 9 · 8 years ago · 1/72, Academy, Aeromaster
  • Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 8 years, 9 months ago:

This is very personal to me. My dad died many years ago, and tho' he never really took much interest in my hobby through the years, he did ask a number of times, if I would build a Catalina - I always said I would and I never did.

Dads interest stemmed back to the very dark days (for the UK), of 1941, A Catalina (and some other types) came to Liverpool on a 'moral raising' trip, Dad was 14 and was lucky enough to be taken aboard and given a joy-ride. He never forgot it.

I'd searched for this Aeromaster sheet for years and years, it popped-up on eBay in January, I bought it, bought the kit and the result is here. Xtracolour enamels throughout and hopefully Dad would've been happy with it... I am.

Thanks for looking.

Ian.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Nice job (again), Ian...is this a 1/72nd kit...? It appears somewhat different than my old Monogram 48th offering.

• Profile Photo

Yep it's the Academy kit (I mentioned it in the 'tags'. Thanks.

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Hi Ian. These planes are impressive even in 1/72. I did a Black Cats version in 1/48, posted here in 2013 in Headlines, and still remember all the work that went into the build.

I'm sure your Dad would be pleased with your efforts.

By the way, have you considered posting this in Headlines, rather than Groups? As you have a clean build, and completed, it might be worthwhile to share it more widely, as not everyone ventures into Groups.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the kind comment, Rob, appreciate it - as for posting in to the Headlines, this is my 'first day on the job' may be seen as a tad presumptuous, doncha think ?

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Not at all. Go for it, mate. In at the deep end...

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Ian, I like what you did on the waterline, I don't see it ofter, and it certainly is what the real thing would look like. I remember that photo of the Sunderland being pulled up the ramp, and it was far from pristine. A revelation, as there are no flying boats hereabouts, since the late 40s.
    Is this the one that found Bismark, had an American copilot at the time, on an exchange tour?

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Great build Ian, I am sure your Dad would have loved it - I think that you should put it in Headlines - a few more photos would be good too

• Profile Photo

Bernard, yes it is the 'Bismark spotter' the one with 'Tuck' Smith USN in the right seat, I'm not certain, but I believe that the Catalina that visited Liverpool in 1941 was from the same squadron (209).

David, I didn't take any more photos than these, I may take some more in the future tho'.

Ian.