Monogram 1/48 P-40B

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 7 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Hi everyone!

Started the ancient Monogram P-40B a couple of days ago. The kit is the 1991 rebox of the original 1964 mold.

Here is a look at at the sprues (still bagged)...

Clear parts look acceptable... Instructions are good, typical Monogram.. Decals look usable... . Apart from some finished models pics, No painting/decalling instructions are provided, which is strange (maybe hey were missing from my copy). Anyways, Scalemates to the rescue, since I was able to download the later Revell rebox instructions of exactly the same kit of exactly the same scheme (isn't life wonderful?)... I will be doing John W. Farrell's Flying Tiger.

The specific kit was handed to me by a friend 20 years ago, since he had no intention to build it. His name day is on March 25, so I took the decision to surprise him by passing by his house and hand him the completed model.

It will be a mostly OOB build, with minimal improvements.

Here are the exhausts drilling out procces...

...and attached...

You are supposed to secure the rear part of the hub to the front engine face with the shaft from the rear, so it can rotate, however this would compromise the hub looks once the front hub part that inludes he blades would be attached, so I secured the shaft by attaching a styrene piece...

...This way the fron face could be attached with the shaft installed and rotatable, also the complete prop could be assembled, filled, sanded smooth, painted, weathered and attached at end stages.

Here is the basic model assembled: fit is very challenging. liquefied styrene everywhere...

Some subassemblies...

This kit has the reputation that, though old, is probably he most accurate P-40B, shape wise!

More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

A good start of this challenging kit, Spiros @fiveten
    It will be a very nice suprise for your friend to see hit kit being brought alive after 20 years.
    Quite some seams visible here and there.
    The exhausts did already get a great improvement my friend.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Nice start Spiros, I've built several of these old P-40's and posted on iModeler. Medallion Models makes a very nice cockpit upgrade which really enhances the overall look.However, OOB builds can be made into a really nice looking P-40.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tom-bebout! I am off to your builds, in order to use them as reference!

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 2 years, 3 months ago:

I'll be following this one. I've built a bunch of these as well and have one in the stash that is on the build list. These old Monogram kits build into very nice models right out of the box with a little effort and patience.

Looking good, Spiros!

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @jetmex!