Tamiya 1/48 Zeke - trying out a new pre-shading method

Started by Nikola Topalov · 2 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Nikola Topalov said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Hi gents,

This is my work in progress on Tamiya's older, somewhat simpler Zeke and my first 1/48 model. I am building it OOB with a closed canopy so not much excitement there.
    However, I am trying out a new technique for pre-shading, which I borrowed from my experience in art, painting and colour theory, and which I call COMPLEMENTARY PRE-SHADING for now,
    I used complementary colours of the base colour to pre-shade, aiming at more interesting colour variation and contrast. The base colour in this case is IJN Ash Gray, so the complementary colour for pre-shading is purple, Tamiya X-16 to be precise. I also primed the model in Vallejo Dark Yellow primer, this being the complementary of the pre-shading color.

This is more of an artistic than realistic approach, but I like to try and balance both in my models. The colors are much better in reality, but you all know that excuse, haha. Will have to wait for "proper" photos in the end. 🙂

Below are the results. I like it so far, looks promising. 🙂
    You be the judges.

Maybe someone has done this before and if so, please share your experience.

Also, I could use some tips on weathering "Zekes" so those are more than welcome.

Thanks in advance guys! 🙂

Cheers,
    Nikola

16 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Nikola Topalov said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Just realized that I should have posted this in Work In Progress group.
    My apologies.