Williams Brothers 1/32 Hall "Bulldog" racer

Started by Lawrence R.(Larry) Schmidt · 4 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Lawrence R.(Larry) Schmidt said 11 years, 5 months ago:

I have loved racing planes ever since reading Reid Kinert's book with the great pencil drawings when I was 11 or 12 years old. I have built all of the Williams Brothers 1/32 lkits, but this is the last one. It was a "Stash Queen" for many years as I was intimidated by having to make masks for the scallops from the drawings in the instruction sheet. After much thinking and a couple of false starts, I hit on a practical way of transferring the drawings to masks. that worked. The result is one of my all-time favorite models. The build is OOB with the kit decals. The paint is Testors #1104 Dark Red, #1146 Black, andTamiya Gloss White. As I don't own an airbrush, the model is hand painted with a brushed-on Future overcoat.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michael Scott said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Very nice. I like those planes too but am not sure about the scallops and curves necessary for the paint work. But still...

• Profile Photo
    Lawrence R.(Larry) Schmidt said 11 years, 5 months ago:

The kit gave complete scallops(black with white trim) for the tail, aft fuselage, and the top left wing and bottom right wing. The cowl, forward fuselage, wheel pants and the top right wing and bottom left wing had only the white pinstripes furnished as decals. The builder had to fashion his own paint masks from the outlines furnished in the instruction sheet. If you masking job wasn't spot-on, the white pinstripes wouldn't would not properly separate the red and the black. If your masking was off, you were done for, unless you wanted to mask off for the pinstripes and paint white over red and black. This was not an easy kit to paint. Adios, Larry.

• Profile Photo
    Jack Mugan said 11 years, 5 months ago:

Larry... That's impressive brush painting! I have the Cutting Edge masking set for the Gee Bee and it worked out great. I have many of the William Brother's kits as well including the "Bulldog" racer, and now that I've seen yours, maybe... just maybe, I'll give it a shot. Nice looking model.