Eduard 1/48 P-39 L/N 345th FS

Started by Tom Bebout · 18 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

What the hey, lets do another addition to this group build.

In fact I may do this as a twofer, as it applies for this Group but could count for the Nose Art Group Build. I'm doing the markings of the only P-39 that carried the sharksmouth nose art in the Mediterranean. This A/C was flown by Major Charles Hoover, the Squadron Cmdr, from August through December 1943. Got credit for 1 1/2 kills flying this P-39. The kit plastic looks good and includes a good amount of cockpit detail.. Better yet being a ProfiPack, a canopy mask and photo etch detail is included. I built an AM P-39 several years ago but it was Eduard plastic molds and don't remember having any real issues. So here we go.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 5 years, 11 months ago:

One thing you have to do with the Eduard P-39 is sand down the wing trailing edge from inside BEFORE ASSEMBLY to get it right - it's way too thick otherwise. The one glitch of the kit.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Very much looking forward to this, Tom - I love those 'Profipack' kits.

• Profile Photo

TC I've read articles from other modelers that have built this kit mention the same issue , I'll give it a go. And David, God knows I didn't need another kit for my seemingly ever increasing stash; but saw this at a show for $15. Too much temptation to resist, apparently I'm rather weak in the area of passing up a good bargain.

• Profile Photo

Tom, regarding temptation and bargains at model shows - you'll always find free cheese in a mousetrap...

• Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 5 years, 11 months ago:

'Let's take the cheese!'

Fantastic Tom, as ever looking forward to seeing your work!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Gotta love any kit that includes photo-etch AND a canopy mask set, right..? 🙂

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Thomas, you are a man after my own heart. There's no repaying you guys for making this GB so fantastic. Hard to quantify what I've learned from it. Collectively, we've told a story. And a P-39 is a great addition.

Thanks, friend!

• Profile Photo

Took a break from eating some cheese to spend some time at the bench. As the saying goes construction begins with the cockpit, and this one is no exception. Several small parts are included and they usually make me nervous because one has to use tweezers to attach them. And if you hear a ping count that part a AWOL forever. So far no real issues have occurred, all of the cockpit was hand painted using Model Master acrylics.

I used the instrument decals then applied the photo etch over them. You have a couple of options with the photo etch instrument panel based on which P-39 version you want to build. The kit also includes decals for 5 different aircraft, quite a bonus as the rest will go into the decal stash. Almost worth the price of the kit to get those decals. After assembly I covered the cockpit with my home brew wash of 50% water,50% Future/Pledge mixed with some Tamiya brown acrylic to a color hue I liked. More progress will be posted later.

• Profile Photo

She's looking smart, Tom. The instrument panel is a great piece of work - very sharp, you gouda love it.

• Profile Photo

David, the puns...you pickpocket you...

Very nice work on the cockpit as usually, Tom. Really nice stuff.

• Profile Photo

David, you'll often find a pun in my posts if you look Caerphilly.

• Profile Photo

David LS, your gouda love it is a very sharp comment as I'm additionally smoked as well.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Cheese Louise the office is really looking sharp !

You're the man Tom ... and a plastic model building machine.

I'll be following along with the build.

• Profile Photo

Well, I had the bleus but coming here cheesed them all a-whey...