Inventory

Started by David A. Thomas · 51 · 6 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

So where's the P-38"s?

• Profile Photo
    David A. Thomas said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Great thought, Tom, especially since Michel is open to diorama suggestions! Plus, we need some trucks.

• Profile Photo

Thomas, I stand corrected on the list. The P-38 has been added with you as the claimant.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 4 months ago:

My vote is for the Tiger... I was very tempted to build the exact same kit, but decided against it due to the complexity and number of current builds I have at the moment.

That is a good idea about building the Opel Blitz as a supply truck for the Tiger... Then you could incorporate the German Tank crew too...as a diorama.

My other choice (if there is such a thing) would be the Panzer 4. I saw one built once that had a large black spade (like the ones used in a deck of playing cards), on the sides of the turret. It looked really cool... and the Panzer 4 doesn't get the love a Tiger does.

Just a thought... 🙂

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hi David, despite my initial reservations about this group build I can't help but join in. The Beaufighter is attractive, does a Tamiya 1/48 Mk VI fit the bill? Either this or the Airfix 1/48 Stuka, although I see Ferry is already down for the 1/72 version. Thanks for your help and thanks for organising this group build.
    George

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Current status: Neck to neck race between Tiger I and Opel Blitz:

Build status 2017-12-11 12:33 CET Votes Names
    Tiger 1 Initial 501st heavy 2 Louis, David
    Opel Blitz DAK 2 Louis, Tom
    Panzer IV Trop DAK 1 Louis

In this way, the ammo loading dio suggested by Tom is within reach! heck, maybe I build two kits since I emptied my work-in-progress shelf 🙂

Keep 'em coming those votes!

• Profile Photo

George, you're the salt of the earth, friend.

Either or both of those additions would be fantastic. Neil is playing with the idea of a Beaufighter, but hasn't pinned it down for sure. In the end, though, it's moot, since we like duplicates in the GB anyway. Another Stuka would be just great if you want to go that way. I've really been wanting a Beaufighter, though, and I found this link (http://www.historyofwar.org/articles/weapons_beaufighter_squadrons.html) that should help you get some historical specs on which iterations of the Beaufighter were used where, and with which combat units. I think you'll find that the Mk VI is just what the doctor ordered for this theater of operations and time period, used by any number of units. Just scroll down.

Michel:

Tiger! Tiger! Tiger!

• Profile Photo

George my friend, here's a few pictures of the Tamiya Beaufighter kit in 1/48 scale to hopefully entice you to join in on the fun...

It looks as if the kit is supplied with proper decals to build two different versions of the plane that should be appropriate for the GB.
    The box art is for one of those planes. It's from the 272nd Squadron and is also the plane on the cover page of the instructions.

Here's another picture showing a little side view of the same plane as per the kit instructions.

The second option is a Night Fighter which was flown by 600 Squadron which provided night cover for Allied operations.

Here's the box art for this plane on the side of the box this time.

and another view from the kit instructions.

It looks to me like you can build two different planes for this GB right out of the box without having to get anything special like decals.

I hope this helps to answer your questions my friend. Take care, and I hope to see you start a Stuka or a Beaufighter (or whatever you chose).

Louis

• Profile Photo

Louis, your stash keeps amazing me, I guess it keeps you young! 😉

• Profile Photo

Thanks Michel ... Having the stash does help to keep the brain active...which in turn could help to slow down the aging effects a little... maybe. OK I'm just grasping at straws making a justification for it here. 🙂 🙂 🙂

The stash is my incentive to do research, which I enjoy almost as much as the build.

I did find a rather unique photo for you...

a Tiger sitting next to a smaller Panzer... I'm guessing it's a Panzer III but it could possible be a Panzer IV too... given that I can't see the number of road wheels I'm just not sure...

Now throw in an Opel Blitz off loading ammo into the Tiger... put some German Tankers in the Panzer IV, and you just may have it...

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 6 years, 4 months ago:

George the Beaufighter would a great addition. Build the Tamiya kit several years ago and it's great kit all the way around. No fit or alignment issues and no putty needed, just a fun build. Sometimes referred to as the "whistling death" by those on it's receiving end. I say go for it.

• Profile Photo

A Tiger and a Beaufighter!? Both claimed within hours of each other for the KP GB? Christmas comes early!

Now if I could just get a Ju 52...:-)

• Profile Photo

Thanks Louis! Yes you are spot on re. stash. A well filled stash is supportive of creativity. I do some research before the buy and a lot more afterwards combining several vehicles and figures. Most of the time, my models start off from pictures like this one. I try and replicate past events captured on film in 3D scale. This picture is a marvel in itself, the crane in the back was often used to do repairs or heavy offloading near a railhead and is in itself mobile towed by for instance an Opel Blitz or Einheitsdiesel truck...

I cant tell either pz 3 or 4. I would guess pz 3 H support tank to 503rd heavy embedded to 2nd Pz div. but not sure.

Thanks for this, Tiger I build closing in but 4 days left collecting votes!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, David, I think the Beaufighter is favourite, I'll let you know when I've tracked down a kit.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the info, Louis, I think the Beaufighter is favourite, all I've got to do now is track down a kit.