Books

Started by Jaime Carreon · 6 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 5 years ago:

David, don't even get me started! Here are a few of my favorites:

"The Cannibal Queen" by Stephen Coonts. Yes, the one who wrote "Flight Of The Intruders", which is also on my list. After he retired from the Navy, Coonts purchased a Stearman biplane and spent three months flying around the United States. The book chronicles the journey.

"Bomber" by Len Deighton.

"Moondog's Academy Of The Air And Other Disasters" by Pete Fusco. A fellow Ex Con, this one will have you laughing so hard your coffee will end up in places you hadn't imagined.

"Fighting Cockpits" by Donald Nijboer and Dan Patterson. A very interesting look at combat aviation viewed with the cockpit as the primary focus. Eric Brown wrote the forward...

"The Wrong Stuff" by Truman Smith. What it was REALLY like to be a B-17 pilot in WWII.

"Vulcan 607" by Rowland White. The story of the longest bombing raid of the Falklands War.

I'll stop now or this might go on for a while...

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

‘The Cannibal Queen’ sounds right up my street. Moondogs also sounds a goer...

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years ago:

Here’s one of my favorites.

Death Traps by Belton Cooper.

It is about the experience of a young US Army Lieutenant who was tasked with recovery and repair of knocked out Sherman tanks from Normandy to the end of the War.

Here’s a little excerpt from the book that I pulled from Wikipedia.

It’s definitely a good book to read and gives a fairly graphic account of what really happened to Armor Crews.

It’s so good that when I loaned my copy of it to a friend, I never got it back !

Here’s another good one to read if you are interested in Naval Aviation from WW2.

It covers both the US Navy and Marines, as well as the FAA. The aircraft covered in the book are the Grumman F4F Wildcats and F6F Hellcats, plus the F4U Corsairs.

Besides actual interviews with surviving pilots, there are plenty of artist illustrations and scale line drawings.

The book is chocked full of photos as well.

I’m not loaning this one out ... I learned all about that before.

On the other side of the coin this is another excellent book.

Aces of the Rising Sun by Henry Sakaida

It is published by Osprey and has stories and illustrations of both Japanese Army and Navy pilots...

All of the Osprey series of books are very good.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Thanks, Louis. Having read ‘Death Traps’, I found it hard to put down. Cooper has a real talent for making you feel as though you were there with him (although sometimes it’s a tough place to be; he doesn’t flinch from all aspects of death).

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 5 years ago:

The story of the Cub with one blue wing will have you rolling, David...

• Profile Photo
    David Mills said 4 years, 9 months ago:

Just finished it Jaime@jetmex it made my trip in on the tube this morning - great recommendations all - thank you!