Here Is Your War, Story of G.I. Joe

Started by gary sausmikat · 3 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 4 years, 11 months ago:

Hello fellow iModelers,

I just finished reading Here Is Your War, authored by, Ernie Pyle. A "good" read in Mr. Pyle's, well famed, journalist, home-spun style of writing. In his easy going, non-condescending way, Ernie brings to the reader first hand accounts of the war in Africa, from his crossing the sea through to the end of the fighting. Many times I could "visualize" him in the fox hole during a shelling or driving the jeep in fear of aerial attacks. But also at times giving a little laugh from his accounts of soldiers still being human and having human moments during the madness of war. As I read Ernie Pyle's accounts, I marvel at how he makes writing seem so easy to do..."why can't I do that". It takes me forever just to write my address.

Also on my shelf, but have yet to read, is Ernie's book, Brave Men. His time with the troops in Europe.

Enjoy!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    bob mack said 4 years, 11 months ago:

pretty good movie too with mitchum and burgess meredith as pyle...depressing, miserable italian front...much like burma but colder

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 4 years, 11 months ago:

thanks, Bob. I like that movie too. While reading, Burgess Meredith's portrayal was a good reference.