Shep Paines: How To Build Dioramas

Started by gary sausmikat · 9 · 5 years ago · books
  • Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 years ago:

Great new Group subject, David. Thanks for the invite.

So first of my shelf, keeping with a modeling theme and my favorite model building book: Mr. Sheperd Paine's: "How to Build Dioramas"

As a teenager, building those Monogram kits, that included the Shep Paine's inserts, was where model building went from a hobby to a passion. So when this book was advertised in FSM I purchased it straight away. Now, 40ish years later, it's still my go-to guide for building my models and dioramas.

Back then, now and hopefully many years to come...Thank you, Mr. Paine for inspiring this modeler.

Enjoy and keep it fun...remember it's just a life long, passionate, hobby.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Sheperd Paine. What a legend. Posted this before, but can’t resist another share...

• Profile Photo
    gary sausmikat said 5 years ago:

Yes, yes, yes. CLASSIC! Mr. Paine was a master story teller in 3D.

• Profile Photo
    Julian Shawyer said 5 years ago:

How strange. Only today I can across my copy of How Build Dioramas.

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

This book was and is an inspiration for me also.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years ago:

Michael, one of the biggest compliments I could give you is that your ‘Avenger’ dio could have been straight out of one of his booklets.

• Profile Photo
    Maarten said 5 years ago:

CLASSIC!
    I still have my original,was realy a rare find for me back than in The Netherlands
    Mr. paine and than Verlinden got me started

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 5 years ago:

david leigh-smith thank you so much. What is truly amazing is what Shep was able to accomplish on such short, tight deadlines building the dioramas for Monogram. One day I'll do my version of a U S Navy plane crashed in the ocean like Shep's Devastator dio.

• Profile Photo
    Nick Newell said 5 years ago:

Oh, wait...is that Cat Women having a roll in the hay with Batman?