B-29 in stunning technicolour...

Started by neil foster · 17 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

With my D-Day group build project finished I have continued work on my B29, so here are some pics for you all , they aren't going to win any prizes for photography but this thing is just Huge,
    N.
    I included the 1/48 Seafire to give an impression of size.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Stunning Neil.
    And what a tidy work bench as well.
    You can see by the comparison of the Sea fire the size of her,.
    You are going to need a bigger Man Cave or similar.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Neil! Is this combo the Allies ten upping the Germans' FW-190 Mistel? It's nice to see one not silver!

• Profile Photo

Cheers Simes , I've got to be honest I had a bit of a tidy up for the pics.Josh, the leading edges are in silver and were a pig to do.
    Thanks for looking guys
    N.

• Profile Photo

Yeah, I agree. I had problems masking outer edges of my de-icer boots as well. They come so close to the nacelles you don't have much room for tape! The masking was easier than sanding and polishing the leading edges though, so I chose the quick and easy path (as Vader did)! The ones on the B-17 are much easier! I see you went with the Curtis Electric props.

• Profile Photo

What your looking at is my third attempt at doing those leading edges,in the end I just blasted them in silver from a rattle can then masked them over and redid the green and grey,but trust me before I got them right I very nearly binned it.
    N.

• Profile Photo

You could have used bare metal foil. I use it on the leading edges of my grey and white Navy jets instead of masking. I did actual thing of foiling my entire B-29, but on a test piece, the decals came off too easily when they should have stuck fast.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Boy that's a big ol' green weenie ain't it.. :-). Seriously though, you got it looking great in OD/Grey looking forward to seeing your progress.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Neil. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for looking Greg.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 11 months ago:

What do I think of it so far? Brilliant! Can't wait to see the finished article, could be a bit tricky to photograph it because of the size...

• Profile Photo

I've never build this kit and wondered is there a carry through wing spar to prevent the fuselage seam from splitting, or is there enough structure in the bomb bays to carry the load?
    Really looking forward to watching this build progress especially your weathering techniques.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Just wondering Neil, what are you using to make the beast sit on its nose wheel? My P-38 took quite a lot of lead behind the props to stop it tail sitting...!

• Profile Photo

O.K. guys here goes,I am reading this in sunny Madeira and I have been drinking so please excuse any spelling/ grammar errors,Goerge, yes it is really big so taking decent pictures is a problem, Rick,there is a spar that forms part of the bombay and goes through into the wings to support them, Gregster, I have stuffed sqaushed airgin pellets into every available orriface (Oooer missis) and I still think it will be a tail sitter ,this thing weighs a ton !.

Thats it for now ,thanks for looking guys ,N.

• Profile Photo

Enjoy you holiday Neil, don't have to much Madeira while your in ...;-)