B-29 SUPERFORTRESS 1/48 SCALE

Started by paul l johnson · 13 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    paul l johnson said 10 years ago:

SHARING PICTURES,TIPS AND ADVICE WELCOMED...POSTING PICTURES IN 3 DAYS OF WHAT I HAVE BUILT SO FAR

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Here are some pictures of my B 29, as you can see it is about the the size of a French loaf, I put in a standard hens egg for scale seeing as its Easter and for those more used to a liquid diet some standard tins of the amber nectar.I have no idea where I will put this thing when it is finished.It is going to be painted in Olive drab over grey, I have bought an after market decal sheet and some nice "weighted" resin wheels. there is now a lot of photo etch available but my build was already well underway when I found out,anyhow I will add more pics as this continues.

N

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years ago:

It's certainly impressive, Neil. Are you planning to keep the wings detachable for easy storage?

• Profile Photo

Hi George , no the wnole build will be as normal , but I am very aware of problems to come, the whole wing span will be about 1m, can't wait !
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Ramon R. Lomeli said 10 years ago:

FOSTERS!

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 10 years ago:

Hi Neil,

What make is this kit?

• Profile Photo

Aahh C'mon Rob a 1/48 B29 ? ,there's only one game in town if you want one of them .
    N.

• Profile Photo

I know of the old Monogram kit, but wondered if someone had updated it, as the manufacturer had the old kit rated at a fairly low skill level (I'm not really 'up' on Superfortresses!). However, a big 'ole kit in anyone's book. I haven't seen one built up in I can't remember when, and now you AND Paul are building them. They're like buses - nothing for ages, and then they're everywhere.

• Profile Photo

Your quite right Rob it is Monogram ,you can also pick them up in a Revell box but it is the same kit, yes it is very simple but it is HUGE , there has recently been a lot of P.E . brass brought out to improve the cockpit and bomb bay but my build was well underway by that time so too late , I sourced an aftermarket True details resin wheels set and a decal sheet from Hannants for an OD over grey early B29 , for my build I have had to alter the upper ,forward gun turret to have only two guns instead of the later four guns,I have packed a lot of lead airgun pellets into every available space up front and it now weighs a ton but I still suspect she may be a tail sitter also because she is now so heavy I may upgrade to white metal landing gear.

There are actually three iModelers working on these puppies that I know of , I'm not sure if 580 modellers will be at Telford this year due to some IPMS issue ,not sure what the problem is ,I don't get involved with politics but if we are there as a club I will be bringing it along,by the way I will be there on the Sunday come what may so if you (or any other iModelers ) are there it would be nice to meet up ,if you want.

Cheers N.

• Profile Photo

Yeah Fosters ,my favourite tipple, same name as me but unfortunately I only own the tins not the company !
    N.

• Profile Photo

Interesting take on this iconic aircraft. I don't know if you would really have benefited from cockpit etch, as there's not much on show. I think even the bomb bay would only be a 'maybe' for me re aftermarket.

Yes I'm at Telford over the show weekend (both days), on the Norfolk Scale Model Group stand, so may indeed catch up wth you. You should be easy to find - I'll just look for a huge model hanging over either end of the table.

PS By the way we're at show at RAF Hendon on May 11.

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years ago:

I'm building one too!

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 10 years ago:

OD and grey. Should be cool looking as I never have seen one built that way. I still think you should've done a Washington! It'd look great with the roundels on it!