1/72 Frog DH110 Sea Vixen FAW2

Started by George Schembri · 63 · 3 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

That'll do the trick George. I had very bad experience with primer on top of acrylic (had to do a repair), but if it is going to boil, it is almost instant. The other way - acrylic paint on enamel primer never gave me any trouble at all.
    Fingers crossed that it will work this time around.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Looks like a successful recovery George, I hope so !

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Yeah Erik (@airbum), I was nervous about spraying on top on the acrylic but the bench test looked okay. With no immediate bubbling, I was sure things would work out fine.

Used the same Tamiya XF-7, and this time I remembered to leave a white square patch or the rear national insignia.

I hope this kit doesn't mind me fighting back - but things are looking pretty good.

Looking for a Yellow, Paint sheet calls for Humbrol 24 ID Yellow. One paint chart indicates I can go with RLM04 Trainer Yellow ( Model Master 4771) which I happen to have in my inventory. I'll do a test once I shake things up a bit with an inert glass bead added to help mix things up.

I did not get that paint shaker I wanted for Christmas so I will need to continue my improvised agitator made by Dewalt.

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

I like this scheme a lot as it evolves, George @georgeswork!
    I love your improvised agitator! My kind of stuff! For a moment i thought it was one of the drills used in "Armageddon" movie... 🙂
    Looking forward to this exceptional Sea Vixen scheme!

• Profile Photo

Well, a little more paint make off, part of the original acrylic primer which I thought was secure. My Fault.

At least it is completely red and should be a easy spray.

Nervous part of masking the black was today and I am pretty happy the way things went.

There was a bit of conflict with the angle of the black areas as the paint scheme did not match some live photos. Lucky to find a previous build of Flicker which helped me a lot.

No peeling where the Enamel Primer was used and I had minimal overspray due to some masking that lifted.

I'll let things dry for overnight and then clean up the spray errors.

I forgot to tape the port aileron as that should have been yellow with no black.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking absoloutely amazing, George @georgeswork! All small discrepancies are easilly fixable.
    Love the scheme and the quality of your painting.
    Looking forward to see it proceeding!

• Profile Photo

George (@georgeswork), what a comeback - that is a great mix of color on one plane.
    I do like your professional paintshaker!

• Profile Photo

Gonna be using decals for the Frog kit and the Ark kit release and some home printed decals. I had to search for the Royal Navy Font as MS Word did not have the proper font. It took about six attempts to get a decent print job good enough to use. A quick coat of Micro Decal Film will ensure the printed decals don’t fall apart.
    Getting close to the finish as Pledge has been applied and the tiny bits are almost done. I just need to find appropriate red stripes for the front nose section.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking good George, what printer do you use ? I usually rearrange serial numbers to get what I want !

• Profile Photo

Thanks Allan (@kalamazoo) - I actually used Rust-Oleum Painter’s Touch Primer which is an oil-based spray enamel paint, sprayed directly from the can.
    Went on very well onto the hard old plastic.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Let me refrase that George, what printer do you use for your decals ?

• Profile Photo

If I may intrude here, Allan (@kalamazoo); I had good luck with an ordinary old laserprinter (be sure to get the right decalsheets), and when printing make sure you did the scan as a full picture and not as "dots". My old printer is a Brother HL-2140, and the Spitsmitt numbers were printed on that one after scanning some on a canon scanner as a pdf and "cutting" them on the PC.

Sorry to intrude here George (@georgeswork) - the decals look great.

• Profile Photo

OOps! - I thought I saw 'primer' Allan (@kalamazoo)

Thanks Erik (@airbum) and don't say sorry, the more comments the better!

I just used my Samsung M2070 Laser jet, just monochrome printing for now.

I test printed on a blank paper sheet and adjusted the font size accordingly, once I was happy with the font and size and snipped out an appropriate size of decal sheet from 'Expert Choice Decal' and taped it onto the test print page and sent the same page through the printer again.

That way I save the blank decal, as I think the heat from the laser printer affects the decal sheet.

Decal sheet instructions also say Ink-Jet will work but I haven't tried that out yet as my ink-jet ran out of ink. It's almost cheaper to buy a whole new ink-jet these days as the cartridges are so expensive.

I have tried scanning and printing using a colour laser-jet but there is a bit of a blue haze on the print outs - might be from the scanning process; however, I do not have access to the colour laser-jet since I retired.

I coat the laser printed decals with Microscale Liquid Decal Film because a couple of times the laser dust lifted from the decal while soaking the decal before application. I am sure the colour ink-jet printout will work fine as the 'Expert Choice Decal' I used did have instructions specifying the use of ink-jet. Other decal sheets specific laser-jet only, so read the instructions.

'Expert Choice Decal' Blank decal sheet was bought from a local Hobby/Toy store - $14 Cdn for 3 blank 8"x11" sheets. The decals are super thin and transfer very nicely.

• Profile Photo

Looking great, George @georgeswork!
    A striking scheme!

• Profile Photo

Feeling the pressure (in a positive way) from Allan's build. (@kalamazoo)
    Pylons painted and installed and landing gear in place.
    Decals are going on - already used decals from three different sources.