Revell (Heller mold) 1/72 SNCASE S.E.535 Mistral

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 52 · 2 years ago · 1/72, de Havilland, DH100, DH100GB, Heller, Mistral, Revell, SNCASE, Vampire
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Hi everyone!

This is my last entry to this wonderful GB!

The Mistral was a licensed built Vampire, basically utilizing a more powerful Nene engine and ejection seats. It was built by French SNCASE and was probably the best performing and most refined single seat Vamp. It still was not faster then the standard Vamp, due to the airframe's Mach limitations.

The Revell kit is a 1991 rebox of the venerable, very sweet (!) 1979 Heller Vampire.

Here is a look at the sprues, that are Made in Mexico!

As you can see the decal sheet is small but looks comprehensive, hope it will perform well, despite it being 30 years old!

Instructions are nice and clear, in typical Revell style:

Two NMF lovely french schemes are provided, I have to choose one!

All in all, it looks like your usual good old Heller kit. If you treat it like a nowadays limited run kit, you are more or less guaranteed to come up with a good result.

This is intended to be a quick build, with the model sent to a good friend in France as a Christmas present, meaning it has to be finished by the end of October tops!

More to come!

• Profile Photo

And here we go!

I attached the cockpit floor, rear bulkhead and instrument panel (which has some nice molded on detail)...

...then crammed some lead weights at the front, also some more behind the cockpit, just to be safe, as all Vamp models are severe tail sitters, all secured with liquefied styrene... ... the rears also with some styrene pieces, forming something like a styrene cage... ...then the fuselage halves were glued. The booms were assembled... ...then the wings and everything was glued together, with the lovely Vamp/Mistral shape emerging...

Could not avoid a QC flight testing and Vne evaluation, hopefully gave it a "pass"...

and returned the plane intact, though upside down...

This is how the vanes are kit supplied:

I could not resist but add two pieces of stretched sprue, in order to give them a more realisitic look, so characteristic of the Vamp:

Here is the status so far:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

That is a real quick start, Spiros @fiveten
    All looks great, so I fully agree on the outcome given by the QC engineers.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Good one Spiros my friend, the Revell boxing is a bit different to my Heller, Airfix parts !

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @kalamazoo!

Thanks for sending this pic with the different sprues!

Triggered by your pic, I found out that the Mistral intakes only sported one vane close to the fuselage, which the "Revell" kit represents well.This became evident after checking also Mistral pics. So I will have to de-modify my modified intakes above (an easy job), thankfully they are not yet installed! Once again, you saved my day, my good friend! (the other time was your crucial note about my Otter slight wings dihedral).

• Profile Photo

Initial excess plastic shaved and liquefied styrene was applied at all offending gaps. here she is!

The yesterday applied liquefied styrene at the innards, in order to secure the weights, has softened some fuselage spots, so I will wait a couple of days (by tackling my 1/32 "Desert" Tornado), for the shrinkage to stop and styrene to harden!
    Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo

More corrections to be done than I expected, Spiros @fiveten.
    Especially not expected the plastic to shrink due to the LqS.
    Good you are still at the point of possible correction which will be done perfectly by you.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @johnb!
    Yep, such shrinkages arise when a quantity of liquefied styrene stagnates at the opposite side for whatever reason. I am patient, not touching anything for a couple of days, then fill and sand.

• Profile Photo

While waiting for the shrinkage to settle down, i performed an initial coarse sanding, followed by the first round of filling. Here is with filler applied:

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Now I feel better about my putty work, Spiros (@fiveten), which usually consist of more putty than plastic. The clean-up prior to a NMF should be fun. It is great to see your kids involved in the modeling. :o)

• Profile Photo

This is heavy filling, Spiros @fiveten
    Quite some work ahead to get these locations grinded nicely.

• Profile Photo

Thank you so much my good friends @gblair and @johnb!

Well, you can see the plastic between the putty, can't you? 🙂

Yep, it's true that a number of Heller kits have to be treated like limited run kits: this one does not even have locating pins and the fit leaves at places something to be desired. Don't get me wrong: I love this kit and really do not mind tackling its discrepancies, it's a cutie of a kit, yet a temperamental one!

My kids spend quite some time with me in the now "our" mancave: I let them sort of play with some (mainly old Matchbox) completed models that I made during the 80s. The good thing with Matchboxes is that the completed kits are usually sturdy/un-flimsy, so they can tolerate some gentle (or not that gentle) play 🙂

P.S. As you can imagine, the kids have to assign a sort of ownership to each model (like: whose will this model be?), so, the Mistral, since it is entered in our friend's @airbum DH100GB, is Mr. Erik's plane!

• Profile Photo

First round of (smooth) sanding...

Still waiting for the shrinkage areas to cure, it's about time to tackle my 1/32 "Desert" Tornado...
    Thanks for stopping by!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Improvements after sanding are clearly visible, Spiros @fiveten
    I'm surprised about how long this shrinking lasts.