1/48 Eduard Spitfire floatplane

Started by Tom Cleaver · 14 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Since all three Sptfire floatplanes were sent to Egypt with plans on using them from a secret island base in the Dodocanese Islands, this qualifies for inclusion in the group.

’ve always thought the floatplane conversions of the Spitfire looked good – like “Schneider Cup Spitfires.”

Back in 1994, Gartex (a subset of Hasegawa) released a Spitfire Vb floatplane with the Hasegawa Spitfire Vb, and a resin tail, lower nose/intake, floats and mounts. I didn’t get it then, but then this past summer I saw one (maybe the same one) in the LHS estate sale shelves and picked it up.

Opening the box, time has not been kind to the Hasegawa Spitfire – I guess that’s why they no longer release it – but the resin is still wonderful. Better than the airplane kit. I decided to put it aside and “await further developments.”

So Eduard then came out with their Spitfire Vb series, and that included some Overtrees of the “Spitfire Vb (late)”. I ordered two. Then I was looking at photos and ran across the floatplane again. I wondered if a model could be created mating the Eduard kit to the Gartex resin?

While awaiting the arrival of the kits, I fiddled with the resin and a Spitfire II kit. Hmm… the Hasegawa rear fuselage really is too thin (like 1/16″ difference with a Eduard kit, noticeable in 1/48). And then it hit me I could do what Folland did: add on a new vertical fin, a new rudder, and new ventral fin, by cutting those parts off the Gartex tail plug. As to the floats, a little bit of sanding had the resin plugs for the float mounts fitting the lower Eduard wing. The resin lower nose wasn’t going to work, but it wouldn’t be hard to cut off the intake and make it fit the Eduard part.

So, when the kits arrived, I was primed and ready.

Photo 1 shows the wing inside with the plugs. No problem.

Photo 2 shows the lower wing with the lower fuselage part glued in place and then the resin intake fitted. No problem.

Photo 3 shows the main modification to the fuselage – you can cut off the vertical fin on a panel line and it will fit.

Photo 4-5 show the model assembled with the major resin pieces glued in place.

Photo 6 shows the model with all the resin attached. No problems.

Fortunately, in side profile, the Hasegawa and Eduard Spitfires match up, so the resin fins and rudder fit without problems at all.

One Big Thing I discovered is that it is possible – and much easier! – to attach the lower wing (with the lower forward fuselage part attached) to the fuselage, then attach the upper wing. No “industrial strength pushing and shoving” and overall better fit. I shall follow that with all Eduard Spitfires from now on.

The rest of the project is easy – attach the horizontal stab, the gunsight, the windshield. I will keep the floats off until painted. They’re an easy attachment on a panel line.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This post shows the pictures, Tom @tcinla
    Resin fit seems to be nice indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Wow, what a project, my friend @tcinla! The Spitfire on floats is a special looking plane, very beautiful and distinctive. Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo

Here it is assembled and painted. There's nothing definite about the schemes, there are those who think the airplanes were prototype yellow on the lower surface. However, EP751 and EP754 were built to be used, and were sent to Egypt with plans to use them in the Dodecanese islands. So I think I am on pretty solid ground using the Temperate Sea Scheme.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Love the Spitfire on floats, you are doing an great job on it, @tcinla!
    I am with you on the standard Temperate Sea Scheme.

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Tom @tcinla.
    Love this scheme.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 7 months ago:

That’s really cool, Tom. Nice job fitting that resin.

• Profile Photo

basically done other than the exhaust, canopy and prop. And will now sit an await the arrival of the Ultracast prop later this week, after one of the sweet little kitties got hold of the spinner I left sitting on the workbench and thought it was a new toy, which he/she then batted somewhere. Operator error for not securing everything so curiosity wouldn't harm the kitty.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking super, my friend @tcinla, great job!
    The Sea Scheme looks so "right" onto the floated Spitfire.
    Looking forward to see it done

• Profile Photo

Absolutely amazing, Tom @tcinla.
    Never saw a camouflaged Spitfire foatplane, but it does indeed look great.

• Profile Photo

Here it is finished, thanks to a friend who had a Spitfire IX spinner in the spares bin after the kitty took the 4-blade spinner in the Gartex kit and turned it into a kitty toy.

I think the Spitfire floatplane is cool - takes the Spitfire back to its Schneider Cup roots.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Yep, the Spitfire on floats looks absolutely cool and you did an excellent model of it, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Awesome result, Tom @tcinla
    The circular rod on the tail, is that used for lifting the aircraft out of the water?

• Profile Photo

@johnb - not sure what it is, it's there in photos. I think you made a good guess for it.