Airfix 1/48 Hurricane Mk I

Started by Tom Bebout · 19 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I'm going to give this Airfix kit a try, in fact it will be the first of the new Airfix kits I'm going to build. I bought this kit at the Indianapolis show and it's boxed as a Mk Ib Sea Hurricane. However, after checking over the parts guess what's in the box. Why everything you need to build a Mk I Trop. Nice plastic, really nice cockpit detail. fabric services look good and you have the option of an open or closed cockpit. Next up is acquiring some desert decals and maybe some AM wheels.So here we go.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice one Tom ! Out of all the new Airfix kits, this one builds up the nicest in my opinion. The only thing I encountered was the wing spar was too thick and that wouldn't allow me to close the wings. Do yourself a favor and thin it down in the vertical dimension. Otherwise you will likely have to resort to brute strength and a lot of clamping to seal up the leading edge.

You know I'm watching this one ! Cool choice too... 🙂

Here's a link to the dual Hurricane build that I did for the 100 Years of the RAF. In this build journal, I posted a lot of good pictures that show an unrestored Hurricane in it's original colors. Hope this helps.

https://imodeler.com/groups/100-years-of-the-royal-air-force/forum/topic/a-pair-of-1-48-early-hurricanes-airfix-mk-1-and-a-classic-airframes-cloth-wing-version/

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

A great addition to the Group Build, Tom. Welcome aboard.

I have heard nothing but good things about the Airfix Hurricanes in 1/48. They clearly supplant the Hasegawa kits in accuracy, detail and ease of construction. Trust Airfix to get it right. I still have their 1/24 Mark l and it is a beauty in spite of being ancient.

The Hurricane IB Trop has some exciting marking options, including the machines sneakily disguised to look like Italian fighters when seen in the rear view mirror. The camo is sometimes said to have been used in Malta, but was used widely used and photo-documented for Hurricanes flying out of Tobruk and Alexandria.

Lots of other markings too, RAF and Free French. I am sure you will do an excellent job on this one. I hope you will have a fun and relaxing time with the build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @tom-bebout!
    This is definitely a great, modern kit of the Hurricane. An excellent model will be produced by you.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

@tom-bebout - read this review I did at Modeling Madness of doing the kit as a Mk. I trop. It's a good "map to the minefield." The Airfix kit is superb.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/cleaver/gb/tch1t.htm

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great choice, Tom @tom-bebout
    Looking forward to your experience on this kit.
    A Hurricane is still on my list and reading already some of the remarks here, this kit is a great choice.

• Profile Photo

Got some bench time in and made some progress on the Hurri. The cockpit is nicely detailed but to mention the parts are fiddly is an understatement. Take your time, test fit because they are small, it's soft plastic and can be easy to break. Trying to get frame/cage to align is not for the faint of heart. For the IP I used the kit decal which is pretty nice and settled down well with Micro Sol. I cut thru the armour plate and attached an Edward PE set for the belts. Lastly I used a home made brown wash to highlight some of the details. The rest should be easy, from the category of famous last words.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks great, Tom. Very rapid progress you are making, especially considering the delicacy of the parts. The detail on the 1/48 Hurricane cockpit approaches what I have on my 1/32 Tempest. Nicely weathered, too, the oil wash is restrained yet effective. Looking forward to more. Any thoughts on the markings yet?

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Love your work, too, my friend @tom-bebout. Excellent home made weathering!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nice progress, Tom @tom-bebout
    May I ask you how you created your own wash, it looks great.

• Profile Photo

Going with Free French marking

• Profile Photo

Hey John my wash is rather simple. Mix equal amounts of Future/Pledge with water, it doesn't take much. Then dip a fine paint brush into any acrylic paint you desire, i.e. gray, brown, black, green etc., and stir into the water/ Future mix. Keep adding until you like the color. Then using the same brush apply to your surface, capillary action will cause it to run into recessed areas. play around with it on different spare parts and you'll get the hang of it. Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for that info on the wash, Tom. May I ask if you painted the cockpit color first in acrylic or enamel? I use an oil wash over Tamiya acrylic because I don't want to burn through it with anything that might be an acrylic solvent, like dilute acrylic paint. I think sometimes I am over-cautious and I don't really like the smell of oils paints anyway. Dilute Future plus acrylic paint might be a nice alternative.

Looking forward to those Free French marking, BTW. That will be our first French subject in the GB.

• Profile Photo

Colin the cockpit was painted with a contamination of enamels and lacquer. However, I've used this wash over acrylic paints as well with no issues. I believe the key is the 50/50 mix of water with the Future that keeps it from burning through acrylic paint. That plus the fact the amount of paint needed to achieve a given color is extremely small.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Cockpit looks great, Tom (@tom-bebout). I have this kit lurking somewhere, so I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the build. Good info on the wash, I need to put it in my bag of tricks.