Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb

Started by Spiros Pendedekas · 119 · 1 year ago · 1/48, Airfix, Desert GB, Spitfire
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Hi everyone!

Just received a Christmas present today from my good friend @johnb and his beloved Family. Upon opening the box (well, actually my two chimpanzee boys attacked it 🤭) there was something for everyone in. Guess what it was for me...

John knows I have a soft spot on older kits, so there could not have been a better gift.

Here are the kit contents...

I plan to finish it as Squadron Leader Neville Duke's desert bird. Could not restrain myself and started it immediately. Here is the progress... ...#and here is the result so far, the gaps filled with liquefied styrene... More to come!

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Looking good, Spiros! Nice work on the elevators.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @j-healy! What a sweet kit!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 5 months ago:

The pleasure was all ours, Spiros @fiveten
    Based on the age of the kit I knew you would go straight for it.
    Your immediate start proves this and the result is really great already.
    The elevators are for sure an improvement, making it look much more dynamic.
    Looking forward in desert scheme.

• Profile Photo

Thanks again and for everything, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 5 months ago:

If anyone can turn that ancient turkey into an eagle, it's you @fiveten.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 5 months ago:

This should be a fun one, Spiros (@fiveten). Looking forward to your paint magic on this one.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 1 year, 5 months ago:

That box art has a lot of artistic license, just look at that burning foe, what a miscellaneous of types all into one, a sort of Folgore/Ki-61 and something else amalgamated into a new form eheh.
    @fiveten, like Tom says if anyone can make this museum piece into a presentable Spitfire it’s you Spiros

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 5 months ago:

An old kit indeed, Spiros but the shape looks really quite accurate. Airfix got it right. I am sure you will get the most out of the build. Sawing off the elevators for repositioning will add a lot to the look.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @tcinla! Yep, that's what we had in 1979 (not bad for then), but just looking at today's Eduard offering clearly shows the major departure.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @gblair! Already considering the demarcation lines rendition 🙂

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @holzhamer! Indeed, the box art has a lot of artistic license, still being attractive in ots own manner.

• Profile Photo

Thanks my friend @coling! Indeed, Airfix got the shape right!

• Profile Photo

2nd round of filling, prop also assembled...

Thanks for stopping by!

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 1 year, 5 months ago:

Box Art is the hook for many modelers. It allows the mind to see the potential/dream of what is inside the box. Once open, then reality sets in and modeling skill is applied. The tool chest of knowledge and elbow grease get used. Another Classic adventure.
    Looks like another Spiros adventure into everything Spitfire is at hand. The liquid plastic . . . I thought that was dental resin. Looks effective in filling the gaps and keeping the ball rolling.

Following this one for sure.