Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Vb - Ian R. Gleed

Started by Tom Cleaver · 18 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The good news is, the new Eduard Spitfire Vb that came out as part of the double kit "Eagle's Call" is the best Spitfire Vb out there - like the Spitfires I, II, VIII, and IX kits are the best of their sub-type. Detail I haven't seen before.

The kit provides markings for USAAF Spitfires, and they're mighty fine decals of interesting topics. However, I discovered when I examined the plastic that everything is there for "other things." Like the Aboukir filter and lower nose that was seen on the Spitfire Vb "Figaro" flown by Wing Commander Ian R. Gleed in North Africa in 1943. Since I have the decals to do that airplane...

So, here is the first installment - cockpit assembled into fuselage, wing assembled, and the two brought together and then the Aboukir filter nose attached.

When the Vb is released on its own, I will be definitely getting some overtrees, and I am keeping these kit decals for "future effort."

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good option I reckon. Unlike that side of the pond, here the only source I have for overtree is Eduard site itself. However, since 2019/20 their shipping prices have skyrocket to a point where unless you spend a considerable amount in one single purchase, any item I pick I can find it way cheaper in the other sites or at one of my local shops.
    An overtree purchase from Eduard (plus shipping) will cost me the same as a Profipack edition elsewhere so why bother... sorry for the rant

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Sounds like a very interesting kit Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to this specific build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

You can never have too many (Eduard) Spitfires, my friend @tcinla!
    Looking forward to this, too!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

The kit with canopy masked and gear attached, ready to proceed to the paint shop.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Looks great so far, @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good progress, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Here it is painted. Gleed's airplane had a special Aboukir scheme, generally based on the "B" scheme (almost a satire of the B scheme). Hsegawa did a limited release of their Spitfire as Gleed's airplane, which had a detailed paint instruction page for the scheme. I have extensive photos of the finished model, so I followed that for this scheme here.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 7 months ago:

A unique scheme, my friend @tcinla, very nicely reproduced.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Indeed, and I’ve always preferred the Mediterranean scene of the TLS on the Spitfire

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Love this scheme, Tom @tcinla
    Very well applied.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

This is coming together very quickly and spectacularly, Tom. I like the colors of the desert camo. Does the Aboukir scheme of Gleed's plane include a different sort of blue underside color? It looks bluer than standard Azure Blue, although very pleasing to the eye.

• Profile Photo

@coling - It's "Azure blue" as mixed in accordance with a series of color Kodachrome prints of two 308th FS Spitfire VIIIs in desert camo, published 50 years ago in the old Air Combat magazine. As is the Dark Earth and Middle Stone. Those four photos in that magazine have been my "color standard" for the desert scheme ever since a friend gave me the magazine back when I had to dodge the prowling Tyrannosaurs to get it home.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks, Tom. Your tips on Azure Blue are most helpful in my build ambitions on this GB. I thought it might be a different color from the shade you used on your Spitfire XVIII because the photography made it look brighter. Also your comment about Gleed's aircraft having an unusual paint scheme gave me pause. It's great that you have an original photo to go by.

• Profile Photo

Finished. The new Eduard Spitfire Vb (late) is definitely the best Vb out there in 1/48. I've already ordered a couple of overtrees boxings.

@coling - I think you'll see that with the colors flattened, the Azure Blue is what you were thinking of.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.