High Altitude Hunter-Killer Team

Started by Tom Cleaver · 32 · 1 year ago
  • Profile Photo
    Luis Barrientos said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Hi tom. For the MKVI you used the mkvb trop? I imagine is a late mkvb the base kit, if one wants to make a european mk VI?

Great models btw
    Cheers

• Profile Photo
    Morne Meyer said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Awesome build thread Tom. I like these 'special' Spitfires. The SAAF No 41 Squadron used Spitfire Mk IX in a similar ploy to intercept high flying Luftwaffe aircraft. Unpainted and armed with only 2 x 7.62 or 12.7 machine guns. 41 Squadron SAAF operated four of these natural metal Spitfires. (MH931 + MH993) (MA504 + MA792) They were stripped of all excess weight, the engine was modified & they then operated in pairs. This to intercept high flying Luftwaffe Ju-86P's at +40,000ft. The idea being that one aircraft (armed only with machine guns) would climb to the altitude of the Ju-86, and force it down to the level of the second aircraft, which was armed with cannons.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Yes, the Mk Vb (late) for the Mk. VI.

• Profile Photo
    Luis Barrientos said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Thank you Tom. Which kit would you recommend to make a MK VII?

• Profile Photo

The Mk. VIII, with the small intake from an early Spitfire IX kit. You'd just have to modify the rear clear glass and make a new piece.

• Profile Photo

Here is the HF VI painted

Looking at photos and with the information this was one of four Mk. VIs specially sent out to Egypt, I think this was painted at the factory in the "A" scheme.

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here is the Vc "killer" painted.

Looking at the photos, this appears to be an "Aboukir" paint job, done as an approximation of a "B" scheme.

9 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Very nice resukts on the paintwork, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo

Here is the Mk. VI with decals. National markings and stencils are Eduard from leftovers of other kits. The "A" was found on another sheet in the decal dungeon.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Here is the Mk. Vc with decals. Being an "Aboukir" scheme, they did not repaint stencils, so it just needed national markings from a leftover Eduard sheet, with the B coming from another sheet - I had to slice the upper part and pose it like the photo of the actual plane.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 11 months ago:

Superb results, my friend @tcinla!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Nice work on the decals, Tom @tcinla

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Here is the Spitfire HF VI finished.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 year, 10 months ago:

And here is the modified Spitfie Vc.

I decided the sealing putty was most likely grey.

I kept looking at the photos of the airplane and remarking to myself on the heavy wear on the walkway to the cockpit on the wing. Then it hit me, that since they were lightening this airplane to the maximum possible, they likely stripped it down to bare metal and then gave it a thin (i.e. lightweight) coat of paint, which would have been very prone to wear, thus the wingwalk area. That's just a guess, but it fits the facts of the airplane.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 10 months ago:

Great result on both, my friend @tcinla!
    Nice guessing on the thin-layered paint!