Savoia-Marchetti S.79 – Classic Airframes 1/48

Started by Colin Gomez · 38 · 4 months ago · 1/48, Classic Airframes, S.79 Sparviero
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Just to show this is not an exclusive 1/32 GB, I am well on my way with the Classic Airframes 1/48 Sparviero. This is a very nice kit but a complex build in that it is limited run. Some sawing is required to open up gun ports here and there. I will also be doing ignition harnesses for the engines, which are otherwise very nicely detailed in resin. I cleaned, assembled and painted the resin cockpit. I think I got bogged down on this build originally over the cockpit color. Lots of builders have used the ant-corrosive pale green color but it seems some have gone with a gray. I was also a bit unsure of the MM Acryl Pale Green for Italian cockpit green but have since learned it's a good match, unless its gray I want. The kit is really complete with lots of cool color schemes and decal options to choose from. As a torpedo bomber, it represents the Axis attacks on convoys supplying Tobruk, so it is an example of how the air war over the desert can also extend over the ocean.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Great entry, my friend @coling!

The Sparviero is one of the planes I have affection for, goodness knows why! Not that it was a bad plane - it was a good one...

...I think the reason of affection is a combination of "exotic" (or, not very "standardized") design, colorful (nice!) schemes, good performance (but quick obsolescence...), maybe also the fact that it fought over Greece, during the Italian offensive during WWII, who knows?

I have built a SMER (Artiplast Jurrasic era mold) 1/48 (which actually is 1/50), have another one to build and also a Trumpeter one (which has been criticized accuracy wise, possibly justifiably - do not ask my opinion: I just build! 🙂 ).

The CA kit is not a toss together kit, but it is definitely buildable and looks to be the way to go, if you want an accurate Sparviero.

Our friend @tcinla has done a great job with the CA kit, that you might be interested to look at:

https://www.modelingmadness.com/review/axis/ity/cleaversm79.htm

Provided that some bench space is cleared (famous last words...), I might enter one of my two - less than stellar- stashed Sparviero kits!

Looking forward to your super build!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

This is indeed a beautiful designed airplane, Colin @coling
    The best looking Italian plane during the war, mainly because of its oddity design.
    Looking forward to this build.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for your detailed response, Spiros. You are very welcome to add either your SMER or your Trumpeter kit. I think the only issue with the Trumpeter was the cowlings, which were a bit wide - hardly noticeable and also a debatable "problem" - like the Accurate Miniatures B-25 cowlings. BTW, you would probably find the Osprey book on the S.79 torpedo bomber units interesting - some great profiles too. It is always all the more interesting when the historical action is close to home.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. I too love the aesthetic of the s.79. It pains me that it was called the "hunchback" since I think I find the profile rather streamlined and predatory-looking. I also like the unusual tri-motor configuration.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Be sure to read my reviews of this kit at Modeling Madness. It makes up into a good result, but you will slog through hell getting there.

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/ity/cleaversm79.htm

BTW - The SM 79 version in the kit you have is a sub-type that didn't serve in North Africa. It's ANR, not Regia Aeronautica.

There is usually one "tricky part" to the assembly of any Classic Airframes kit, wherein if you do not do it right you will have a very difficult time resolving the problem successfully. On this kit, the modeler's instinct to build the fuselage as a sub-assembly and then the wing too, must be resisted. DO NOT build the wing as a sub-assembly!

Here is the easy way to assemble the wing to the fuselage:

The wing is in five pieces - two upper halves, to outer lower halves and a center section. Attach the center section to the fuselage first, and align it properly. The wing does not have any dihedral. You will need to test-fit this part and modify it a bit to get a close fit, but it is easy to do. Once this center section has set up, attach the upper wing halves. You will find you need to change the shape of the wingroot to match that of the fuselage, but test-fitting and fiddling a bit will result in a nice tight fit and no further problems. Then assemble the outer lower wing halves. Seen head-on, the centerline of the wing should be entirely flat, with the upper surface sloping down to the wingtip while the lower surface slopes up. Once you have accomplished this, everything else is a breeze. Attach the horizontal stabilizers, apply some Mr. Surfacer 500 to the various seams, and set it aside to dry overnight.

After sanding the seams smooth the next day, I attached the braces to the horizontal stabilizer and attached the various small parts to the lower flaps and aileron surfaces - these are all resin, so be careful you don't break them taking them off the mold blocks.

I then painted the engines and glued the cowlings to them. Be careful here - the cowlings are marked to take the exhaust on the lower left side of all three, which is correct for the early bomber versions that the kit makes up as. If you are doing a later version, as I was, you will have to modify the right wing engine cowling to take the exhaust on the right side. I found that rotating the cowl 90 degrees set everything up close enough that I had only a bit of rescribing to do on that cowling. I attached the resin exhausts and saw there was going to be a need for a lot of putty at the front end, to properly fair them into the collector ring. I applied that and set the cowls aside.

I had futured the canopy glass, and proceeded to attach it. The rear windows in the gunner's compartment are a bit big for the opening, so sand them down around the edges, and test fit - if you get them just right they pop in with no gaps. I also had to sand the edges of the cockpit canopy and windshield to get it to fit, then had to putty over the joint in the front of the "hump" to get it smooth. None of this was particularly difficult. I masked the windows with scotch magic transparent tape.

Here's the other review (a comparison with the godawful Trumpeter abomination):

https://modelingmadness.com/review/axis/ity/cleaver79.htm

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the info, Tom @tcinla. Just to clarify, the boxing of the S.79 I am using is perfectly suited to represent a Regia Aeronautica aircraft of the "Desert Air War" defined by the GB. The kit contains six marking options, including decals for 278, 253 and 281 Squadriglia of the Regia Aeronautica. The box art and three other options are for the ANR. The kit has everything to make the torpedo bomber version of 1940-1941, including a torpedo, which I believe you had to source from an He. 111 for the boxing you used. I am using the Osprey Savoia-Marchetti S.79 Sparviero Torpedo Bomber Units book to represent an aircraft of 278 Squadriglia operating out of El Adem, Libya, August, 1940. The kit decals only need a few numbers swapped. This strictly follows the Desert Air War GB parameters I defined in being an aircraft involved in attacking Allied convoys en route to, or targets in, North Africa. In fact, aircraft based in Rhodes , Panteleria Island or Sicily would also qualify as long as they were attempting to thwart the convoys to North Africa or attacking North African ports. The fact that this aircraft is also based in Libya is a bonus.

I have read both of your articles on the CA S.79 several times and found them very useful, as always. Thanks for the links. I am surprised you currently describe your two builds on the kit as a "slog through hell" since you were pretty upbeat about the build experience in the two articles. I will certainly follow your tips on the wing construction, especially paying attention to the dihedral. The cowling details are also interesting to keep in mind. The addendum instructions for the kit show lots of exhaust options on different sides of the cowlings based on the resin stacks in the kit. I am guessing that CA really did their homework on this later release of the kit to make sure it was accurate (maybe they even read your article back then). I have the Squadron book and the Osprey, as I mentioned, so I will check period photos for what I need to do.

By the way, did you follow the on-line debate about the Italian cockpit green color? Some say it would be used only if the cockpit walls and components were metal, subject to corrosion. The S-79 was apparently combined wood and metal plus fabric construction, which might affect the cockpit color. Or not. I note that at least one of your builds uses the green. The kit instructions say green. Some other modelers use a light grey. What would you say is more accurate now?

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Good news. My recollection of that particular version of the kit didn't include the RA options.

My understanding of Italian cockpits is they use a light green very similar to British Interior Green. I use Tamiya XF-71 "Cockpit Green" which is the Mitsubishi interior color and very close to both British and Italian interior green. Not sure about wood cockpits other than they wouldn't have used lacquer, so maybe it was just varnished. Having not seen any color interior shots of S.79s, there's nothing definitive I would know.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Tom. That's very helpful. I have since found some color pics of S.79s in museums which show fragments of the anti-corrosive green paint over a grey undercoat.

That may have been the source of the confusion in discussions - green was clearly it in surviving airframes. I like your choice of Tamiya XF_71 over the MM Acryl Pale Green which is somehow a sickening color that doesn't photograph well. I plan to respray the interior as I proceed.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I’ll be following this one, Colin. I have the Spanish Civil War boxing to do one of these days.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I’ve used Humbrol# 120 green (with a few drops of white to lighten it up) for Italian green cockpits. #120 is intended as Israeli 1970s light green.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

I too usually use Hu120 for the Italian cockpits, my friend @j-healy : though I am not the guy to count on, regarding color accuracies (I am "easy", not too picky), I believe Hu120 is a safe bet.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. I hope it goes together quickly for a short run kit. I already have the major resin interior parts trimmed and mounted and will repaint today. Thanks for the paint tip. I never paint with enamels for environment/health reasons although I know Humbrol paints are excellent. I will try to get a match with the Tamiya.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. Humbrol paints obviously have good properties and you get excellent results with them. One of the things I promised myself in getting back into the hobby was to manage toxic inputs as far as possible. For that reason, I use acrylics exclusively, water thinner, if possible, a powerful spray booth, etc. I hope I can get the right tones with the Tamiya XF-71. It looked really nice for my Betty pit and has got to be better than the weird shade of MM Acryl Pale Green - kind of the color of pesticide, somehow. I have plans to get on with painting and assembly today. In fact, I will do a bit on each model in this GB and also mask my 109 Gustav for further painting.

• Profile Photo

Here is a very short update on the S.79. Today I tried to do a little on each DAW build and managed to repaint the fuselage interior in Tamiya XF-71. Since it went over top of the MM Acryl Pale Green, that gave it a particular hue.

I like it much better and it photographs in a more appealing way, as well. I gave a coat of Tamiya clear as well so that I can do an oil wash this week. Lots of detail in the resin sidewalls to highlight, even though it won't be very visible through the limited transparencies and closed cockpit.