Savoia-Marchetti S.79 – Classic Airframes 1/48

Started by Colin Gomez · 38 · 4 months ago · 1/48, Classic Airframes, S.79 Sparviero
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 8 months ago:

That's a fine looking Italian interior green, my friend @coling! And, how great the particular hue, since it was applied on top of your older green: are they not all those little details nice?

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 8 months ago:

Nicely done, Colin @coling
    Those washes definitely will help to make it more realistic, even though you won't see much of that later on.
    So don't forget to take pictures.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Well, it has been more than a year since I last updated this one. I have done a fair bit in the meantime. The main issue was deciding whether to go through the trouble of opening up the rear windows and crew access door, necessitating scratch-built detail in the fuselage. It took awhile to get enough photos to figure out how it should look back there. I also kind of dreaded carving out that much plastic and keeping proper shapes for doors and windows. Anyway, I took the plunge. The first pics shoe the violence of the surgical procedure to carve out the door. A complete door is provided in the kit, but you have to make the opening yourself.

The entire interior was built up slowly with strips of evergreen sheet plus rod, scrap photo-etch, and salvaged bits from other kits. I had thought that not too much would be needed when the only view was through the rear doorway, but I ended up doing quite a bit.

The photos show how I did the side and top ribbing and built up the details of the gondola which was going to be seen pretty clearly though the open door. Also done carefully were the perforated box and rectangular shelf-like thing underneath. Getting the perforations to line up well was a challenge that took a couple of tries, discarding the first version.I don't know what it is but it is very visible through the open door. I made more or less authentic-looking ribbed walkway strips by embossing strips of wine bottle foil with a ribbed piece from a stencil cutting knife. I then cut the foil to shape and glued it to plastic strips.

So, not to be too long-winded, the pics of all this speak for themselves. With most of the interior work done, I just have to paint and add the tail wheel and the supplied details in resin for the rear gunner's position. The waist machine guns will be fitted inside after the fuselage is assembled, otherwise they will break off in the masking and painting process.

BTW, I also added some detail to the resin cockpit, much of which will be invisible when everything is zipped up (oh well). I replaced the resin rudder pedals with scratchbuilt versions because I had lost two of these along the way. The incredible IP is from Yahu as the kit version was pretty crude and useless, even though it was resin.

I added the seatbelts to the resin seats from spare etch. The belts are nicely detailed although, once again, they won't be all that clearly seen through the limited windscreen area.

It had a bit of a nightmare experience when I had completed the fuselage interior work. I decided to move on to the engines and cowlings for a change of pace and discovered that two of the cowling halves were severely short shot! Suddenly the kit became effectively unbuildable!

Classic Airframes is, of course, not around anymore so I had no manufacturer to appeal to. Anyway, some searching on eBay finally turned up a relatively inexpensive CA SM-79 kit that was missing all the resin bits. All I cared about was the cowlings so I bought it to rescue the current build. Now I am back on course with an all new sprue of cowling pieces, all properly molded.

So, that's it for now. I hope to get this assembled fairly quickly now. My Macchi from this GB is ready for paintwork and I will paint both together to make efficient use of my Italian Regia Aeronautica color set. Hope you like this work so far.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Your interior work is amazing, Colin (@coling). I have heard that this kit is a real bear to build, and even more difficult thanks to unusable parts. I put all of my Classic Airframe kits in a consignment sale a while ago. I don't mind a challenge, but some of their kits just look like real soul-s*****s. If anyone can conquer this kit it is you. Looking forward to the rest of your build.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Amazing job so far, my friend @coling! Great to see your Sparviero pogressing!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 6 months ago:

Excellent progress, Colin @coling
    Beautiful interior detailing, especially that lead foil walkway looks amazing.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, George. I have mixed feelings about CA kits. I was very positive about this one until I came across the short shot cowlings. They are usually pretty accurate in shape, the SM 79 being much better in outline than the Trumpeter kit. The work comes from fit challenges and combining the plastic, resin and etch. Anyway, I am optimistic this will look good in the end. Quite a lot of work to do on engine details and landing gear (the resin tires on one side will need some resculpting from a giant sink mark). That's what modeling is all about for some. My favorite part will be airbrushing the camo for my first Regia Aeronautica scheme.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros. The work is finally paying off. Soon to be buttoned up for final assembly of major parts.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John. It would be nice to know what some of the details are but my sources on the net are obscure on some things.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well, it's been a year and this one has been quite a challenge. First off, I got the engine cowlings pieced together as planned from components in the combined kits.

It turned out some of the same pieces were also short shot in the second kit (!), but there were just enough well molded halves to produce three complete engines - phew!

Next up were the wings. Way back before I got the new kit I saw that the wings were badly warped, with a kind of banana curve upward.

I decided I would assemble them anyway and figure out a way to bend them in place. There were also fit gaps on the leading edge and wing root that were pretty ugly. I filled these gaps with stretched sprue and sanded a lot to get a smooth connection. This seemed ok until I realized that the sanding had not only really distorted the shape of the wing surface but the curve of the warped wings produce all kinds of dihedral. Plans and pics of the real thing showed no dihedral for the SM-79 wings at all - it was a disaster in spite of all my build efforts.

I was about to junk the whole model as unfixable when I remembered I now had a second kit with a whole new set of wings. These turned out to be perfectly molded - nice and flat with no warp at all. While I dreaded the damage it would do to the fuselage, I proceeded to cut and break off the old warped wings to try to fit the new ones. This actually went without a hitch. I built a spar running through the fuselage to fix the new wings to and guarantee no warpage in the process of gluing together upper and lower halves.

I attached the wing halves in stages and constatntly checked symmetry and angle as I went. The spar also meant I didn't have to eyeball to ensure that everything would be level topside as long as wings were anchored to it. That also worked well. The fit between the upper and lower halves and at the wing root was very good.

I am now ready to detail the engines a bit and fit them to the nacelles and nose. I will repaint the cockpit seats where I cut off the shoulder harnesses I glued on earlier. No evidence that the SM-79 had more than seat lap belts that I could find. Clear parts to fit and mask next as well as final finishing on the open clam shell doors for the hump gun position (in resin). Getting pretty close to the painting stage.

Glad I fixed this. I really like the look of the SM-79 and getting it this far has been worth it. Hope you agree.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Excellent save, my friend @coling! What a wonderful job on this challenging kit so far!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

The second set of wings did save your build, Colin @coling
    Great progress after a lot of work.
    I agree on the looks of the SM79, a wonderful aircraft, I have a 1/72 Italeri waiting underneath the Christmas true 😉

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

I remember this kit as being difficult back in 2003 when I did both releases, but not this difficult. I just went and looked at the old review and can't believe I said " This is the best Classic Airframes kit to be released to date. It assembles easily and looks good. If you have never built a limited-run kit, you should be able to do this as well as I did." But then mine didn't have anything short-shot or warped, being one of the first kits.

You've done a lot of good work here, @coling

• Profile Photo
    Steve Oakson said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

You have certainly had a struggle with this. I don’t remember having this much problem when I built this kit. You have definitely used “..some modeling skills required”
    Mine went to grandkids prior to a move. Needless to say, it is no longer extant.
    Keep working on it. It is a neat aircraft. We see too few done.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros. The extra work has been worth it, especially to get the thing back on track. With all the work done earlier, I couldn't bring myself to abandon it.