180th Fighter Wing F-16 Tamiya 1/48

Started by David Meyer · 11 · 3 weeks ago
  • Profile Photo
    David Meyer said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

First off, let me say that this is my first post on imodeler so please be gentle if I am presenting incorrectly. I intend to join the F-16 group build with the Tamiya F-16CJ in 1/48, however, I will be completing it as a 180th FW aircraft as based at the Toledo Express Airport. I have the Caracal F-16 Dark Vipers part 4 decal sheet which includes the Have Glass V markings for this group. The 180th provides the Air Defense mission for the central U.S., with aircraft on 5 minute alert at all times. It was the first unit to launch with live missiles on 9/11 and the launched aircraft were proceeding on an intercept course for United Airlines flight 93 when it crashed in Pennsylvania. I was an air traffic controller at Toledo Express for 21 years and was the FAA liaison with the 180th for approximately 9 of those years, so they have a special place in my heart. I have previously built 3 1/48 F-16s in their markings, one for a retiring controller and 2 that were given to a friend that works at the 180th. I intend to arm it as the alert aircraft are, with 2- Aim-120s, 2- Aim-9s, a drop tank under each wing and a Sniper pod. Hopefully, the build will start in the next week or so after completing the 2 aircraft presently in the paint shop!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Excellent entry, excellently posted, David @tolss!
    Welcome aboard!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

First of all a warm welcome to iModeler, David @tolss
    Your presentation is done correctly, no worries.
    Looking forward to this special build.

• Profile Photo
    David Meyer said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you for the kind words! It was a little intimidating to jump in the deep end of the pool and post when I was not sure what I was doing!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looking forward to your model, David (@tolss). I am currently working on the 1/72 version of Tamiya's F-16CJ, so it will be interesting to see how similar they are. And welcome to iModeler. You will find everyone is very supportive in their comments. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Welcome aboard David. Looking forward to follow your build!

• Profile Photo
    David Meyer said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

After what seems like forever, I've finally completed my contribution to the F-16 at 50 group. I didn't post any in progress photos (I'm still learning the "normal" way of posting on this site) but here is my completed F-16. Once again, it's the Tamiya F-16CJ marked up as an aircraft of the 112th Fighter Squadron of the 180th Fighter Wing, based at the Toledo Express Airport, Toledo, Ohio. Caracal decals for the Dark Vipers with a Have Glass paint scheme. Unfortunately, I got a little bit of silvering on some of the decals. I thought that I had it taken care of until I put on the flat coat and found out otherwise. The main color I got from an article on the Have Glass paint, it's a 50:50 mix of Tamiya XF-24, Dark Grey and XF-56, Metallic Grey. You can't really see it in the photos, but there is a metallic sheen to the final paint that is supposed be a close representation of the real thing. The weapons loadout is what was carried for the Homeland Defense Air Sovereignty Alert (ADS) mission by the alert aircraft of the 180TH that were at 5 minute readiness at the time I retired from Toledo Tower in 2015. Fun fact; this aircraft was chosen to represent the 112FS as its serial number is 89-2112.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Congratulations, my friend @tolss! A fantastic result!

• Profile Photo
    David Meyer said 3 weeks, 1 day ago:

Thank you Spiros @fiveten!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 weeks ago:

A wonderful contribution to this group, David @tolss
    Excellent result.

• Profile Photo
    David Meyer said 3 weeks ago:

Thank you John!