F-16A 311 Squadron airbase Volkel, Hasegawa 1/72

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 137 · 3 months ago · 1/72, 311, F16, Falcon, Hasegawa, Volkel
  • Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

First of all, thanks a lot for the invitation to this excellent group, Erik @airbum.

Did a search on the internet this morning and found this Hasegawa kit of the F-16 in 1/72. Not entirely my scale for smaller aircraft but the option to build it as an 311 squadron aircraft stationed at airbase Volkel, close to my hometown, made me decide to go ahead with it. I was able to add a nice F-5A from Revell in Dutch marking as well.

Shipment should be done today, so hopefully still arriving tomorrow.

1 additional image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Welcome aboard @johnb. Looking forward to see your small F-16 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nice companion for my 322 squadron one! @johnb

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, thanks, Erik. Will do my best to get this little Falcon look like a real one.
    @alfred, absolutely. 311 was always my favorite, not sure way, maybe because I saw a lot of them at Volkel during my childhood. Unfortunately it does not exist anymore since 2012.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

@johnb
    1/72 is not your usual scale but that only makes it more challenging for you John. Looking forward to see how this kit goes

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

311 Sqn, 322 Sqn, and my 323 Sqn Viper. Should be fun.

It would be nice if there were decals for these markings that J-636 sported in 1998:
    https://www.f-16.net/g3/var/resizes/f-16-photos/album37/album13/J-636_001_001.jpg?m=1371901030

• Profile Photo

@holzhamer, challenging indeed, Pedro. A jet in 1/72, not my usual stuff.
    @kahu, very interesting tail art. Would indeed be nice to have decals from that.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

Finally I have the Falcon at home. The shipping was a real adventure and it took 10 days in total for a distance of just 100km within the Netherlands. At a certain moment I even received the information that they could not locate the package anymore 🙁 Finally after a couple of days I noticed that, according the tracking information, my Falcon was on the move again. Two days ago I received the information that it was delivered, could be, but definitely not at my address. Tracing the package I was finally able to pick it up today at the incorrect address.
    Hopefully the building will be less stressful.

The hasegawa boxing looks very attractive and also the artwork is pretty nice.

Inside the box is a bag containing some light grey sprues and an additional bag inside with a transparant sprue.
    All parts looks very clean, no flash.

What surprised me is the details on some of the parts, even this is 1/72 scale.

Decal sheet look good as well.

All instructions are printed on one side of this paper.

While on the other side all schemes are present. Mine will be the J-636 from 311th squadron at Volkel airbase.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 8 months, 1 week ago:

It seems like your Falcon neds an update to the navigation system? Hopefully it is all smooth sailing from here.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 1 week ago:

You might be right about that one, Erik @airbum

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 8 months ago:

3 Dutch birds would be fun Indeed @kahu
    I don’t believe there are decals available for the 45th anniversary of the 306 sqn.
    Only found the scheme on the web
    https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php/nl/vliegtuigen-lijst/vliegtuigen-g/382-general-dynamics-f16-jubilea?start=2

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months ago:

Alfred @alfred, yes three Dutch birds would be very cool to see.

The biggest external modification you will have to do to the Hasegawa kit is build the extended parachute housing that is at the base of the tail. This housing extends backwards until it is even with the end of the jet nozzle. Even your linked artwork shows this extended tail. You should be fine with the standard -A cockpit layout as J-636 was part of the first production order of F-16s and was delivered as a block 15.

Here is the history of J-636 from delivery to current use by the Chilean Air Force with photos:
    https://www.f-16.net/aircraft-database/F-16/airframe-profile/906/

Hope this helps.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months ago:

@kahu, thanks for pointing out the modification required for the chute, David. Should be a doable modification.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months ago:

@airbum 😂😂😂

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months ago:

Looking forward to your F-16, John (@johnb), especially in Dutch markings. I just got my F-16 kit out of the garage, so it will be along soon.