F-16C 512TFS 'Dragons' in 1/144

Started by George Schembri · 17 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 5 months, 3 weeks ago:

Well, the more the merrier I guess! This is a great idea for a GB - Thanks to Erik Gjørup (@airbum) - how can anyone not have a few F-16's in their stash.

While I search for the missing tail piece on my YF-16 build, I figured I can finish this little guy since the GB has officially started.

The kit is the Dragon Air Superiority Kit 4004 which features a double build of a F-16C and a Su-27, but I'll jut be completing the F-16C.

The kit was started I little while ago back when I found a nice micro display case, in which I could squeeze about 8 1/144th scale builds. I started assembly on 6 different kits, one being his Dragon F-16C from the USAFE 512 TFS “DRAGONS”, apparently based at the infamous Ramstein Airbase.

The 512 TFS squadron moto is "Vigilare Pro Pace" which translates to 'On Guard for Peace'.

THIS LITTLE GUY IS SMALL!

But it's turning out to be a fun little build thanks to my bifocals.

Undersides sprayed Tamiya XF-19 Sky Grey, Front section/Tail XF-66 Light Grey, Upper Surfaces XF-24 Dark Grey and Nose XF-53 Neutral Grey.

I figured this little gut will need a display base so I found some runway concrete images and plan to use the Squadron Dragons Crest.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Oh boy, that is really small, George @georgeswork
    I thought it was already too tiny to handle in 1/72, incredible to see how you are dealing with this scale.
    Looks great already.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Another awesome entry, my friend @georgeswork! Superb looks already.!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thank you gents, my bifocals are working overtime.
    Some additional progress today.
    Wheel wells painted, Tail assembly attached.
    Tiny wheels painted - maybe too much panel Line liquid.
    Finalizing the static display base, the model will be sitting the a wooden base 7cm in diameter witht he printed runway.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Fantastic job so far, my friend @georgeswork!

• Profile Photo

Looks very nice, George @georgeswork
    To me the amount of panel line liquid looks good.

• Profile Photo

Thanks you Spiros & John.

Landing gear applied and canopy almost down. The lining was done free hand with Humbrol Semi-Black 85.

Also decided the final layout for the mount pad. Went with the Dragons crest and the USAFE crest.

I couple of passes to clean the model prior to gloss coat required, I have finder prints all over the thing.

Decals should be on soon.

Got to admit, I thought this little guy was going to be a little hard to handle but it`s not that bad dealing with 1/144th scale.

And it will not take up any room at all on the shelf.

• Profile Photo

Very nicely done on this miniature scale, George @georgeswork

• Profile Photo

Looking excellent, my friend @georgeswrk!
    A gorgeous little fella!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Really moving fast on this kit, George @georgeswork. The upside on these 1/144 kits is that they have few parts and build quickly, the downside is that I can barely see the parts. I sent most of my 1/144 kits to consignment a couple of years ago because they had become a struggle to work on. Nice work on this one. Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Alfred van Paaschen said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Wow, that’s a tiny Viper! Very nice work so far.

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys,

You're right George (@gblair) minimal parts also mean minimal paint 😉

I have my mini display to fill and I got a little ahead of myself. I found a lot of 1/144 kits at a model show and I couldn't leave them behind, so now I have about a dozen 1/144th scale kits to build.

The decal sheet must be about 30 years old with a bit of yellowing, but look in decent shape.

I quickly tested an unused decal on a clear piece of plastic and they looks good with no splintering - they remind me a lot of thick Hasegawa decals.

After coating the plane with Future, the decals went on very nicely. The white base layer of the decals was a bit off register but I still used them.

The little guy was missing the front sensor bumps and side pitot tube so I added those and the front pitot tube was too thick, so ill add a thinner one at the end of the build.

Sidewinders were painted and a couple more decals to go, then a coat of clear coat for the model and the base and it will be done.

• Profile Photo

Excellent job so far, my friend @georgeswork!
    An amazing assortment of models!

• Profile Photo

Very nice looking, George @georgeswork
    As does your mini cabinet.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). Thanks for following this little GB.

I have a feeling that the mini display case will take a little more time than I first thought.

All decals applied to the F-16. I tried some panel liner on the bottom and it looks a bit messier than I'd like. I am gonna think about adding panel liner to the upper side, but I'll need to coat everything with a Satin coat finish before I call it complete.

Meanwhile, tanks and sidewinders put in place with some Cyan-Glue and front pitot tube added.

Almost done. 🙂

Also, I found a photo of the original aircraft, looks pretty good.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.