Tamiya F-16CJ and Academy F-16I- Sufa - double build

Started by Colin Gomez · 12 · 5 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks for the invitation to the GB, Erik! I am undecided about which of these to build, but I am inclined towards an easier kit with no issues, so Tamiya would win out. Any votes for either type? There is work to do on the intake for the Academy Sufa. Otherwise both are remarkable kits. I have never finished an F-16. I partly built the Revell/Monogram F-16A when I was a kid. Completed the big Tamiya F-4J in 1/32... Good thing the F-16 is quite diminutive. Otherwise I'd have to get a bigger house to build either of these.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

That's a tough one! - Both? (and a bigger house for even more builds?)

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

I lean towards the Sufa just because of the IAF camouflage pattern 😎

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

I would go for both, Colin @coling
    But if you stick with one, my preference would be the IAF.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

I would vote for the F-16I Sufa. Maybe 407 or 408 when first delivered. No weathering to speak of. Just drop tanks and a travel pod on pylons. And no CFTs installed. Which would make for a different look. I must resist getting an F-16I kit, mine would be in 1/48 scale though.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks, guys. I have decided to build both - side by side - but starting with the Tamiya to have a standard to raise the Academy kit up to - for fit, detailing and finish, mainly. The exercise has me reviewing my sources on F-16 intakes and the work I will have to do on the Academy Sufa to get it looking correct in that area. Tamiya's F-16 CJ Block 50 has the GE engine and the so-called "big mouth" intake intake and the F-16i Sufa has a Pratt and Whitney turbofan with the more rounded "small mouth" or NSI intake. In that way I can't use the Tamiya to eyeball how to fix the Academy. Even so, I want my scratch-building to look smooth in the joint of the intake to the fuselage so it will be good to have Tamiya's perfectly-molded F-16 around to compare the two side-by-side. I found good pics and commentary on the internet how to fix the shape. Basically, it is too close to the underside of the fuselage. So, a plastic sheet insert and careful sanding is in order. This is NOT my work but someone else's I will use as a partial reference.

This will get it to look more like the real thing. Or I could just get very lazy and buy a Zacto Models resin piece with the intake trunking. Not likely, though. Too expensive.

As for the F-16CJ, I just bought some decals for F-16s over Kosovo. I would like to do a machine involved in air-to-air combat against MiG-29s and these fit the bill.

So that's it for now. I will do all cockpit ejection seat detail (Aces II) as far as possible with stuff on hand. No big expensive resin stuff there. Hopefully it will all work. Looking forward to it. Should be fun.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

Those sheets will create a huge improvement on the position of the air intake, Colin @coling
    Will look great with Kosovo decals.

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 8 months, 3 weeks ago:

If you want to get lost in the details for the F-16I Sufa, there is always Ra'anan Weiss' F-16I Sufa in IAF Service Aircraft in Detail 5 from IsraDecal Publications. 98 pages of color photos showing the camouflage patterns and all the myriad little details that make a Sufa along with photos of weapon stores plus color profiles.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 8 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks, John and David. I will check out the Sufa reference, David. Much appreciated. Looks great as seen on eBay. May have to be my next B-day present at that price. 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Fantastic entries, my friend @coling!
    Awesome approach to the intakes' construction!

• Profile Photo
    David Odenwald said 5 months, 2 weeks ago:

Sufa! Sufa! Sufa! 😉

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 5 months, 1 week ago:

Excellent choice, Colin. The 1/48 Sufa is on my to-do list.