Digital Figure Sculpting

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 117 · 1 month ago · 3d modeling, 3D printing, 3d sculpting, digital, figure, sculpting
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 2 months ago:

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros. I really enjoy digital sculpting.
    @johnb - Thanks John. I initially had the nails far too perfect. Just didn't look right for a barbarian.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

The work that is involved from going from the basic core of the figure to something more lifelike must involve many hours of painstaking digital sculpting, Brian (@brithebuilder). What you are doing is well beyond watching a few Youtube videos to learn.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - There's definitely a couple hours of sculpting there George. I do typically have a bunch of anatomy reference on my 2 main screens while I'm sculpting on the third. It's still a challenge to interpret what muscle groups do in different situations, but I do find it fun and interesting. I've always been an anatomy fan. And, it really is like anything else, it's just time. If you like doing a thing, whatever it may be, you spend time doing it and you get better. Having a fine art background does definitely help. I did some traditional sculpting in college and having worked in 3D for 30 years, this was a bit of a natural progression. I do watch a lot of YouTube videos for specific tools and techniques within ZBrush though.

I'm starting to add the enemies and attempting to maintain natural proportions while also attempting to honor Frazetta's composition. There's just so much hidden in the painting that I don't get to hide.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Fantastic, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

I can see that this is something that it would be very easy to jump down the rabbit hole with, Brian (@brithebuilder). And one in which success at one project will lead to the willingness to spend even more time in the next.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Amazing design work, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thank you Spiros!
    @gblair - I started down this rabbit hole 35 years ago George. LOL
    @johnb - Thanks John

• Profile Photo

So, I did add the dead guy on the ground as seen in this update. It just made sense for the composition and will allow another point of contact for the guys falling backward. As I'm doing all of this, I also have to consider how the whole thing will be separated into pieces for 3D printing and then assembling and painting. The dead guy does need a bit of battle damage to his helmet and shield, but otherwise I believe he's complete.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Your new figure really adds a lot to the composition, Brian (@brithebuilder). Like you mentioned, the body creates a reason for the other guys to be falling down. Very nice. 35 years of experience has led you here...somehow it seems worth it. Sadly, I don't have 35 years to invest in getting proficient in doing this. I will have to experience the design and creation process vicariously through your posts. :o)

• Profile Photo

@gblair - Thanks George. I agree, all of the 3d work I've done through the years has definitely led me to some cool stuff. The best thing really is being able to teach and having an impact on the next generation of artists. Summer off is pretty cool too.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

The dead guy looks super so far, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

The dead person adds a lot to this scenery, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

Guy on left... Conan's right, that seems to have just been hit by something... battle axe I suppose. He needs a bit more detail like fingernails. I think I need to adjust the boots a bit more as well so they're less like Conan's. His teeth are quite good for not being able to see his face well once he's positioned in the final diorama. As they are, they should take a wash well when painting. I'm happy with his ears too. Ears are a complex structure. I also think the look of pain on his face turned out pretty good. Based on the painting he does also need a necklace and a bracer/gauntlet. Each one of these guys is really it's own project.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Better boots

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The gradual buildup of detail is amazing to watch, Brian (@brithebuilder). You need to be like a lawyer and keep track of how many hours you spend on this. I suspect that if you ever decide to sell the print file or the resin figures that you will never be able to get enough money to pay for all the time you spent designing it.