Digital Figure Sculpting

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 117 · 1 month ago · 3d modeling, 3D printing, 3d sculpting, digital, figure, sculpting
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Fantastic job adding these details, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 2 months ago:

@gblair - Funny, yeah, I think if I did charge for this based on the hour, no one would ever buy it. The printed version as well as the digital will eventually be in my Etsy store, but there the hope is that I'll sell several of them and eventually get a few bucks. The time spent doing art in general is money I don't have to spend on therapy, so I'm saving money there. LOL

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros. I appreciate it. I keep going back and finding things from different angles that don't look quite right, so hopefully by the end, it'll look good from any angle. It makes me wish I still did oil painting. Frazetta only had a single POV to worry about.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

All those modifications and added details do clearly show improvement on the overall project, Brian @brithebuilder

• Profile Photo

More progress. The side guy is finished. I did make his feet a bit bigger. They feel more proportional now. His wrist band was added as well as his broken necklace. The guy getting his face smashed by Conan's shield is coming along nicely. The body needs a lot of work, but the face is getting there. Definitely looks like his jaw is either broken or at least very damaged.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 months ago:

Wow, that face is clearly expressing the hit of the shield, Brian @brithebuilder
    Great design work.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

Wow! I am surprised that the guy has any teeth left, Brian (@brithebuilder). These should be really fun to paint.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Looks excellent, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John, expressions/faces are a challenge. I think if it were actually accurate as to what happens to a face as it's being hit that hard, it would look really fake.

@gblair - Right George... I should probably have a couple of them being broken at least.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros. This is a somewhat insane project but it's definitely a labor of love. I've been a fan of Frazetta forever... or at least as long as I can remember.

• Profile Photo

More progress. The guy getting his face smashed has a lot more detail and still needs a lot more. His torso looks good at the moment. I'm not sure what I'll actually do for a cape closure. I think I'm going to give him sandals with leg straps and a weapon in his right hand. Probably a sword similar to the guy behind him which will be a scimitar type blade.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 months ago:

I hadn't noticed the necklace around our hero's neck floating due to the movement, Brian (@brithebuilder). Now that is a really cool feature that brings these guys to life. I suspect only a 3D print would allow that sort of detail.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

@gblair - Thanks George. I'm hopeful that the necklace will print correctly. I may need to increase the diameter so it prints reliably but we shall see. We'll cross that bridge as we get to it.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Amazing detailing, let's hope all will be nicely printed, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

The torso looks really nice, Brian @brithebuilder
    Like George, I didn't notice the necklace was floating, will look great if it prints correctly.

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Thank you Spiros. If it doesn't print well the first time, we adjust until it does.
    @johnb - Thanks John, and this is the great thing about working digitally - if it doesn't work well at first, I can adjust it and re print it until it's reliable.

• Profile Photo

Minor update - The cape holder pendants... not sure why it happened this way, but I ended up sculpting a duck on the face of it. LOL I crack myself up.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.