Digital Figure Sculpting

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 148 · 4 days ago · 3d modeling, 3D printing, 3d sculpting, digital, figure, sculpting
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Great that you are back on track, my friend @brithebuilder! Nice priming!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 week, 2 days ago:

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros. Feels good to be settling in.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

Hi Brian (@brithebuilder): Having moved to a new house 3 years ago, after living in our old house for 30 years, I can certainly share your efforts to get settled. I am glad you are moving into the painting phase on your creation. I just printed two large figures (a conquistador and Luke Skywalker), and I am trying to figure out the best way to paint them. I want to watch how you paint yours, but in the meantime I am off to check out Groundeffected. Cheers.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - Hey George, moving really is challenging. The house I bought was built in 1865, so it's got a lot of cool features and needs a lot of work. I am also looking forward to seeing the painting of your two figures. Luke Skywalker is always cool, but I am super intrigued by the conquistador. I hope you find Groundeffected as entertaining as I do. The guy is an amazing artist.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week, 2 days ago:

I am on my way to YouTube right now, Brian (@brithebuilder). My painting will never be as accomplished as yours, but I have always wanted to paint larger figures. We had an older house when I was stationed in New Jersey, but not nearly as old as yours. The first thing I learned was that older houses require constant maintenance, and never let yourself get behind on the maintenance or it becomes overwhelming. If you are retired now, you should be OK. Are you still living in the same area or did you move someplace completely new?

• Profile Photo

@gblair - I'm not retired, but as a college teacher, I do have a lot of time. I'm in a similar area of SE Wisconsin, still about 40 minutes from work but closer to lake Michigan, I'm about 7 blocks from the lake now. As far as the maintenance goes, you are absolutely correct. The previous owners only lived here part time, more of their vacation home. So there's a lot to do to get it into shape.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 1 week ago:

The arms have been attached using Starbond Medium CA. The gaps were filled with Aves Apoxie Sculpt, then sanded until smooth before a final primer coat. The photos do reveal a few minor issues that are almost invisible to the naked eye. Now for the first Pink/Purple airbrush layer on all of the skin.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

"Pinkle" (Pink & Purple) undercoat will/should add depth to the skin tones.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 week ago:

Impressive progress, Brian @brithebuilder
    Nice idea to use pink and purple as a base.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Thanks John, the idea is from Groundeffected, a YouTube channel by a gentleman named Brent Goudie. The dude does mostly large format, 3d printed, figure painting. Also where the 'Pinkle' term is coined from. I'd love to claim the idea as my own, but not painting figures this large before, I have very little idea of what I'm doing. The layering idea does make sense though, so hopefully it all works out.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 week ago:

I just got through watching the video by Groundeffected where he usings the pink underpainting. Who would have thought that pink underpainting would work? Looks great on your barbarians.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 week ago:

Looking excellent so far, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 days, 16 hours ago:

@gblair - I never would have thought of it myself, but it does seem to work incredibly well for large format figures.

@fiveten - Thanks Spiros! I should be able to get some actual skin tones going today.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 6 days, 14 hours ago:

First layer of skin tone - Vallejo Basic Skin Tone. There's still a bit of the Pinkle showing through in places. I didn't completely do this as a zenithal type of application but I was trying to minimally keep the lightest skin tones away from the bottoms of the muscle structures. There will be additional applications of Citadel - Reikland Fleshshade from the bottom to actually emphasize the shadows. Conan himself will be getting some Vallejo Dark Flesh as well. As a Cimmerian, I believe he should have darker skin than the dudes that he's battling.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 days, 13 hours ago:

This is awesome, Brian (@brithebuilder). I have my notebook out and I am taking notes. I am building a base for my conquistador, then it will be paint time.