Academy 1/48th scale F-4 Phantom vs. ?

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 6 · 11 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 2 months ago:

I'm contemplating buying Academy's "new" 48th Phantom. The old Monogram version has always seemed to me like a pretty well-engineered kit and as 'accurate' as I need/want. There's also the Hasegawa offering to consider. Just how good IS this Academy kit? Is it worth the $60.00 or so they're askin' for it? You can still get the others I mentioned for less than half that amount...least expensive I could find was around $45.00 on Evil Bay.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 years, 2 months ago:

I've got the Revell/monogramm F-4 in my to do pile, and can vouch for it safely. Its still a great kit albeit with raised panel lines (which don't worry me too much). The new Academy kit is no doubt better engineered, and goes together like a dream but then your gonna pay top dollar for that. Hasegawa kits in the UK cost a bomb so I can't afford to go there. I recon you'll get as much fun/pleasure out of the Monogram offering and still have enough cash to splash out on aftermarket decals or the like. Money wise i recon its a no brainer but then it depends on whether you want the easier build. You gets what you pay for i guess!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years, 2 months ago:

This from one other source -

"...the natural metal area on the horizontal stabs is not the correct shape along with the little mounts for the LE slats on the stabs are at right angles to the LE and not angled in the direction of flight. The rest of the kit is fine and a big improvement over the Monogram and Hasegawa kits. I have all three and the Academy kit is well ahead of them both..."

Thanks, Gregor

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cumming said 11 years, 2 months ago:

Try this web site for a video review. http://www.florymodels.co.uk/january-13/

• Profile Photo
    jeff stewart said 11 years, 2 months ago:

been wantin the new academy kit myself, havent built the phantom yet but its always been one of my favorite jets.

• Profile Photo
    Drew Tarter said 11 years, 1 month ago:

I don't have the Academy kit yet, but from the photos and kit reviews I've seen, it's the best, most detailed 1/48 Phantom kit available now. I've built both the Hasegawa and Monogram Phantoms, and they are fine kits, with both good and bad points. The highlights of the Monogram kit are accuracy, ease of construction, and above all, price. You can buy three or four Monogram Phantoms for the price of one Hasegawa or Academy kit. I have two Monogram and three Hasegawa Phantoms in my stash, but I still plan on getting the Academy kit at some point, since it has features such as an opened refueling probe, boarding ladder, and a one piece seemless fuselage, and a full set of weapons.