After 30 Years: Moving to a New House

Started by George R Blair Jr · 16 · 2 years ago · modeling, moving
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 3 months ago:

My wife and I are both retired from the Air Force, and during those 20 years we got used to moving every two or three years. It never seemed to be traumatic to pick up and move everything, and our lives were soon back to normal. But since we retired from the Air Force, we have moved in the same house for almost 30 years. We never planned to move, but our only child had what will be our only grandchild a little over a year ago. We soon found ourselves driving to visit almost weekly, which was a 4 hour round-trip from our home. One day I asked my wife if she wanted to move closer to our daughter, knowing that she would never move from our house. Well, to my surprise, it wasn't long before we were looking for houses. We found some land and a builder about 20 minutes from my daughter's house, and in the middle of the pandemic we bought our unbuilt house. That was in November of 2020. We figured we would be in our new house by the summer. Then came the lumber shortage, and then the brick shortage, and then the labor shortage, and then the appliance shortage. The builder said they would give us 60 days notice before the house was ready, so we packed a few things, but kept our life and hobbies pretty normal. Fast forward to the first week of December, 2021, when we noticed that the house was looking very complete. We contacted the builder, who asked if anyone had told us the house would be done before Christmas and would we like to set a date to sign the papers. Wow! My wife and I accelerated from zero to 100 very quickly and got everything packed in two weeks and we moved during the Christmas holiday. Luckily the weather was very nice here in central Texas, so the move went well with zero damage or lost items ( a miracle in itself and a testament to the movers we hired). As smooth as things have gone, let me say that moving when you are 70 is a lot more traumatic than when you are 30. Duh!

Thanks to the very good real estate market right now, we sold our old house in one weekend for significantly more than we paid for it. We customized the floor plan for the new house to include a large room for my wife's quilting, and we added a large room in what would normally be the attic for my hobby-space. Things are still chaotic, but I think all of my hobby stuff is now somewhere in my hobby room. It will still take a while to get everything sorted and put away, but I am looking forward to getting back to building.

I am sure many of you have had similar experiences, so please share your moving experiences. I hope to be regularly back on iModeler soon, but we are still trying to get our internet sorted out. We live in a small-ish town that has only one internet provider, and their product hasn't been very reliable, so far. Cheers

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stephen W Towle said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Judy Garland said it best; "There's no place like home." The last refuge for just being yourself and at peace with the world, if your lucky.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Congratulations on your new house, my friend @gblair! Your hobby room looks wonderful!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Congratulations! Epic size for a hobby room! Have a lot of fun @gblair!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Now that is what I call a spacious hobby room, George @gblair
    With this area to be filled with models, you need to be modelling on a daily base.
    Good to hear that your house finally has finished and you are close to your child and grandchild now.
    Congratulations.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Well done George, enjoy !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Welcome home George!

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 2 years, 2 months ago:

What a great hobby room/man cave George. And I see you've done some shopping at IKEA for display cases. May both of you enjoy your new home and have fun creating new family memories.

• Profile Photo
    Andrew H said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Great work space you've managed to create, and congrats on the purchase and successful move! Other than the ample space for display cabinets, I personally love that the room is in the upper level of the house, with what looks like a lot of natural light pouring in... a less cave-like man-cave, if you will.

Last move we made was not at all traumatic, especially since it was only across town. It has been nice though, to now have a dedicated room for hobbies, office space, etc. I only wish it had more than one window, for more sunshine.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Thanks, everyone.

@stephen-w-towle

@fiveten

@michel-verschuere

@johnb

@kalamazoo

@airbum

@tom-bebout

@pb_legend

It is nice to be back among old friends. We were really lucky to find a house plan that would allow both my wife and I to have really nice hobby rooms. My wife and I shared a cramped hobby room in the old house. The left side of the room will be the home of my future model railroad layout. Not much of my old layout survived, so I get a clean slate. I got a nice, big window, Andrew, so lots of light. Cheers everyone.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    capt. R said 2 years, 2 months ago:

Such huge hobby room! Great!

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 2 years, 2 months ago:

That is some collection of decals @gblair ! You can serve all air forces of the world with them! Enjoy your new place!

• Profile Photo

Thanks, @lis and @michel-verschuere. I feel really fortunate to have a this kind of space for hobbies. I am still trying to figure where to put an area for airbrushing. I had a spray booth which vented outside set up in an enclosed patio at the old house, but I will need to do something different here. My biggest problem with the decals has been finding a specific decal when I need one. Cheers.

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 2 months ago:

@gblair, That's very nice neighbor! We may very well be that as I live in central Texas too! We live in Cameron, about 30 miles east of Temple and 50 miles south of Waco. Come see us sometime! 🙂

• Profile Photo

Hi, Neighbor (@garybrantley).

You are not far away. After living in San Antonio for 30 years, we just moved to Georgetown. My daughter and her husband live in Round Rock. I see from your bio page that we also have similar backgrounds. I spent 20 years in the Air Force, then spent the next 20 years teaching high school and junior college. I am currently enjoying the "horrible" weather we have been having. Not too many places where you can run around in jeans and a t-shirt in January.