Ah, the age-old question of decal woes....

Started by Craig Abrahamson · 7 · 10 years ago · decals
  • Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Is there anything (short of removing and starting over) that can be done to eliminate the dreaded "silvering" effect encountered when [stupidly] applying decals to a flat paint surface?

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Sounds like you have too broad of an area for this to work, but I've had a little luck opening them up & using future. Also read something somewhere about a guy who used mineral spirits ? to remove the carrier.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 10 years, 11 months ago:

Someone on Hyperscale suggested I use Tamiya thin cement to alleviate the silvering..(put plastic glue over my paint & decals? Yikes!)...followed by an application of Dullcote.
    Well...it ain't perfect - like ANY of 'em are, right? - but it's better than it WAS. Huh! Who'd a thunk it?
    That's one of the things I like about this (or any other forum)...there's always somebody out there [that's been there, done that] who knows more than I do - which ain't all that hard to do. lol

• Profile Photo
    Joe Caputo said 10 years, 10 months ago:

I've had luck soaking the decal off the paper, then a quick bath in Future, (let excess run off) and apply to model. Dull coat, if needed. Sometimes a little Liquitex Matte Varnish, brushed on, will dull out any shiny spots.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 9 months ago:

Try spraying gloss varnish over the areas to be declled , then when they have dryed, spray with matt/semi matt or whatever finish is required. Decals adhere better on the gloss finish and are easier to move into position.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 7 months ago:

Craig, mix some future (undiluted) 50/50 with Micro Sol and apply that to the model before you lay your decal down. Gently blot the excess away after you position the decal and allow to dry. That's been working for me pretty well.

• Profile Photo
    FHamdan (aka Faust) said 10 years, 7 months ago:

If you already applied the decals and they silvered. You can try using a very fine sowing needle to prick the decals' surface (where it silvered) about 5-7 times in a broad area; add a drop of white vinegar to the decal surface; let dry 24 hrs -repeat if needed; when the silvering disappears then seal with a flat coat. Keep the decal on the horizontal when adding the vinegar and letting it dry.