AK Camouflage Elastic Putty - Review

Started by Brian Mennenoh · 12 · 9 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 10 months, 1 week ago:

I recently purchased this container of AK masking putty

assuming it would be an easier/better way to mask the camo pattern of a Corsair build in progress. It does work, and it works quite well as you can see from the photo .

My review is simply that it is identical in nature to Silly Putty and is more expensive. The AK product is 80 grams for about $25 and the large container of silly putty is 113 grams for around $15.

If you don't use either of these products, I would consider them for smooth curving camo patterns.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks for this info, my friend @brithebuilder!

• Profile Photo

@fiveten - Absolutely Spiros! Hopefully it can save people from purchasing things they don't need.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks for sharing, Brian @brithebuilder
    I think I will stick with my current silly putty in this case.

• Profile Photo

@johnb - Absolutely... it is a fine product, just overpriced really.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Thanks for the info, Brian (@brithebuilder). I got some a year ago on sale, but have never used it. I tend to freehand my multi-color camos, but it is on the list to try.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - Understandable... I really need to get comfortable with my airbrush. I'm hoping to adjust my setup to make airbrushing more accessible. Right now, it's in a different room with mediocre lighting. I think I'm overly concerned with overspray getting in/on my computer.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 10 months, 1 week ago:

Hi Brian: I am always amazed at how easy it is to get overspray into some very unwanted places, like computers. The lamps I have to light up my spray booth have an amazing array of colors on them. For doing camo, I finally figured out that it has to do with relatively thin paint, low pressure on the compressor, and getting the airbrush close to the model. I have used a single-action Paasche airbrush since the 1970s, and have only recently tried a dual-action airbrush. It turns out it is easier to paint camo using the dual-action airbrush. I still need a lot of practice with it.

• Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 10 months ago:

One thing about this AK Masking product. If it is older, it gets pretty oily and I would be very hesitant to use it on a model. I tossed mine which was about two years old and never used.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Wilson said 10 months ago:

Is it a one time use or can you roll it up and reuse it with a clean section? Same question for silly putty?

• Profile Photo
    Matt Dyer said 9 months ago:

Thanks for the review, Brian (@brithebuilder) I am a fan of Silly Putty for hard-line camouflage patterns, but I'll stick with the inexpensive Silly Putty from Amazon which lasts a long time as it is very reusable. AK does make a lot of great products re-using things for new purposes. I'll put this in the same category as their brass toothpicks.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Mennenoh said 9 months ago:

@f4phantom - Both the AK product and Silly Putty can be rolled up, kneaded and reused many, many times. The paint kind of disappears into the putty.
    @matthewfdyer - I agree, Silly Putty is definitely the smarter way to go.