Candy paint

Started by Wes Pennest · 2 · 5 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Wes Pennest said 5 years, 1 month ago:

So, I've got a L-39c in the pipeline, and as I'm really tired of looking at 808409 different shades of gray, I want to do something a lot flashier. Hence, candy paint. As I understand it, candy paint (like candy apple red, etc) works like this: reflective basecoat, multiple thin coats of translucent colored paint, clear sealant.

So, assuming there isn't an already existing system of pre-made and pre-mixed paints (as in, you should only use Brand X metallic basecoat with Brand X clear color and Brand X clear sealant), what's the best basecoat? And how bright and shiny should that basecoat be, anyway-- as in, if I use a bright metalizer and buff it to a high sheen versus using something like Tamiya silver leaf.

I (again) assume that the normal rules of paint apply, like painting enamels over acrylics and vice versa.

Any guidance would be helpful, since this is uncharted territory for me.

Or I could just throw up my hands and give it a bright, glossy color.

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 5 years, 1 month ago:

Wes, have a look at this https://modelpaintsol.com/builds/pegasus-mercury-9-rocket-mission-models-chrome
    I haven't tried it but plan on building a car model in Candy Apple Red. There are also some waxes similar to Car Wax that can be used to create a glossy effect.