Electronic Die Cut Machines and Modeling

Started by George R Blair Jr · 15 · 3 years ago · Die Cut Machines, masks
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Erik (@airbum) suggested we provide some information on using die cut machines in our modeling. I can share my experience using a couple of machines that I borrowed from my wife, who uses them for card-making.

The first one I used was called the Silhouette Cameo. I found it very frustrating to use and never got consistent results. I only used it once. This machine uses either its own designs to cut, or designs that you create in its onboard drawing program. Creating the designs for your masks requires a certain amount of expertise in using the drawing program. The one time I used this machine I found that it took a huge amount of trial and error to finally get something usable. I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort.

The second machine I tried was called the Scan and Cut from Brother. I like this machine. You can take whatever you want to create and the machine will scan it and then it will cut it out for you. If you put self-stick vinyl into the machine, it will cut masks for you. I have used it a couple of times and have gotten pretty good results from the machine. I think the more you use it, the better the results will be. May also need to try some other materials for the mask.

Both machines cost around $300 when we got them, but they have both been around long enough that you might find them on sale. Both machines will also cut other materials, including thin cardboard and thin plastic. If you go to Youtube you can find demonstrations of both machines.

Hopefully others will share their experiences with using various machines that we can use for hobby tasks, such as masks.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hello George (@gblair) Seems like we posted within the same moment - I have now deleted my post (re-named it deleted that is, as it is not possible to delete it)

I have been wanting to get me a cutting machine for some time now, but really do not know what to expect. Do you have one? – If so would you be willing to share your experiences. I would prefer one that will be able to cut “Yellow tape”, as I like that a lot over vinyl, but that may be just me getting it wrong.

Thank you in advance – If you have an opinion, but no machine, please feel free to chime in too!

Georges experiences above are very helpful, but please lets hear it from you too!

• Profile Photo

George, the Brother feature of scan and cut sounds very useful indeed. Perhaps it can make decals too by printing, scanning and cutting? - anyone have any experince with that? Do you have any idea how small it can cut?

• Profile Photo
    James B Robinson said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Maybe Michael Rieth @mrieth can share some input on this subject.

• Profile Photo

Thanks James (@jamesb)

George (@gblair), I have been checking the Danish web for some info, and it seems even the smallest Brother will be able to make masks without cutting through the backingpaper. Now I will be looking for some info on wether they are all able to make the smallest of cuttings - any ideas?

• Profile Photo
    Michael E Rieth said 3 years, 7 months ago:

@jamesb My experience is with laser cutters. PVC or vinyl should not be laser cut, because it makes chlorine gas, which will destroy the machine. I do think that an occasional vinyl sheet cut for masking wouldn't cause too much gas, but doesn't have a crisp edge like a die cutter. The thing I don't like is you have to use the proprietary software with these machines. I can use AutoCAD or Corel Draw and others with my laser cutter, which allows greater functionality and I don't have to learn another software program.

• Profile Photo

Michael (@mrieth), a laser cutter is useable for "yellow tape" sheets then i guess?

• Profile Photo

Erik @airbum Yellow Tape sheets can be cut. I set speed at 100 and power at 10 just enough to cut through the tape and not the acrylic sheet, ceramic tile or glass pane that the tape is lightly stuck to. The cheap tape sheet doesn't work very well. The edge still isn't as "crisp" as a die cutter, because the laser is burning through the tape. I have also used the laser to cut decals.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Michael @mrieth, I knew you had a Laser but was unsure if you had experience with these types of machines. I too would prefer AutoCAD since that is what I work with on a daily basis. Thanks for the input.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 7 months ago:

Hi, Erik (@airbum). The Cameo and the Scan and Cut are relatively inexpensive compared to laser cutters and the like. For me, they are actually free since I borrow them from my wife. I have used both to make masks for both models and for buildings on my trains. I have never tried making anything small, but I have seen my wife cut card stock into small and intricate shapes. I make my own decals using a laser printer when I need to do something small, but the biggest limitation making my own decals is that I can't make white numbers, letters, and so on. The printer just won't print white, but I have seen laser cartridges for printers that will print white. If you are interested in finding out more about the cartridge, go to Micromark online and they carry the cartridges.

I started using masks cut on a die cut machine because I can do more weathering using painted letters and designs than I can do with a decal. I can also create masks to paint white or light colors.

With both die cut machines you should be able to use material like Tamiya masking tape. I used vinyl to cut my masks simply because that is what my wife had. I was in Austin this morning visiting my daughter and her new baby, and she gave me some fairly thin vinyl that is designed to be a mask. I will try it out in the near future. Both machines should also be able to make fairly intricate masks. I think as you get more practice on either machine, then you will be able to make some really intricate stuff. I am doing baby steps now. Both machines can also cut some fairly thick material. I have seen a video where a model railroader used the Cameo to cut out the plastic walls for a scratchbuilt building he was making. I have personally cut out some chipboard (a type of stiff cardboard-like material) on the Cameo without problems.

The main problem with the Cameo is that you have to manually adjust the blade for the depth of cut and speed of cut based on the materials you are using. You get scrap material if either is wrong, and some of the adjustments are simply trial and error. I went through a lot of masking material before I was able to get a usable mask. It was very frustrating. Her machine is a couple of years old, so they may have new features that will make these tasks easier. You also get a design program with this machine which you can use to make your own designs.

The Scan and Cut has a lot of user-friendly features. First of all, when you put the material you want to cut into the machine, it tests the blade on it and pre-sets depth of cut and speed. So no guessing. I don't know if this is a feature only on the model that my wife has, or on all the models. It makes very clean and precise cuts. The best feature, in my view, is that you can scan something into the onboard program and it will cut it out. So, conceivably, you could print out the letters and numbers, or insignia, that you want cut for masks, scan the prints into the machine, and the machine will cut them out. If you need a multi-part mask, say for a US wing insignia, you can scan a design, then designate which edge you want it to cut. And then repeat for the other part of the design. The machine works best when there is a clear contrast in dark and light so that it can clearly identify the edges you want cut. You could also use drafting tools or a CAD program to design your masks then either import them or scan them into the machine and cut them. In the near future I want to try to cut camouflage masks in the machine for either British or German WW2 camo. You can also re-scale things in the machine. I think it is very versatile and easier to use compared to the Cameo. You would need to check the features and specifications for the machines you are considering because there are a bunch of different machines, manufacturers, and models, and they all have different features. You might try going to Youtube and see what you can find.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

James @jamesb I was going to get a Cricut Maker, which can cut thin balsa and styrene sheet up to 2.4mm or .094", but I decided to get a SLA resin 3D printer instead. I can do so much more for about the same price in 3D.

• Profile Photo

Michael @mrieth, I envy you. One day maybe, but just a little out of my wheel house at the moment.

• Profile Photo

James @jamesb If you can do 3D in AutoCAD, that is half the battle.

• Profile Photo

Michael (@mrieth) - now that is another thing when we are talking necessary furniture for the hobbyshop - a 3d printer. Man is that on the list too! - and again I know next to zip about them, other than if they are to print very fine items, then they are very expensive. I would love to hear a bit about them too. . .

George (@gblair) thank you for the words - I think at the moment It is the SnC that is in the lead, only problem is what do I need? - there are 4 available in Denmark, 2 of then able to cut 1,5mm, the 2 bigger ones will cut 3mm. I think they are broadly similar apart from that (the most expensive one has some Disney drawings in it's DB, and I do not think I need those)

• Profile Photo

Michael @mrieth, I work in 3D with AutoCAD on a daily basis. Structural Steel and Concrete mostly, but since I am Architectural trained I do dabble in other areas.

Something of a study for a future project...

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.