Finally found some "Future', now what?

Started by Ralph Clements · 20 · 8 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Finally found some Future, er Pledge variety, 'same quality, new look'...I tried it on a extra canopy piece, sure did make it all glassy looking, but I think I hear there are other uses for it too, and the bottle got should last years, any helpful tips?

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I use it for quite a few things besides glass. I will say I brush it as opposed to spraying it.

I'll use it as a gloss coat for decals or when I need a high gloss finish. You can put your decals in a puddle of it on the model, wick the excess off & it will pull into panel lines. You can use it as an adhesive for clear parts & it can be used for the glass face on gauges.

If you brush it on you need to be fairly fast & don't go back into the area you have already applied it to. I try to apply it in natural panel separations on the model so you don't need to do it all at once. If you are going to put a second coat on make sure the first one has fully cured.

Practice on an old kit before you apply to your first good kit. It will run & puddle if you put it on too heavy. A bad application on clear plastic can be removed with ammonia but the ammonia could damage your color coats. It can be sanded when cured.

Hope this helps & isn't too confusing.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 9 years, 12 months ago:

You can use it to give your model a gloss coat before decaling it. Give it 24 hours after application before applying decals, since decal solvent will attack it if still not fully cured.

If you use acrylic paints, you can use a little bit to "revive" a bottle of old paint, much better than adding in thinner.

You can also apply decals with it, brush the area the decal is going on, then apply the decal and let it all set up.

Brush painting will not leave streaks, it "self levels" and always dries smooth.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Man that stuff sounds great! Especially the news that it can be brushed rather than sprayed.

• Profile Photo
    Bryan W. Bernart said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Bought a new bottle yesterday myself-under the Pledge label. I often violate the 24 hour rule, and have found that the decals really settle in well when the Pledge/Future is slightly uncured. Sometimes localized cloudiness appears, but goes away as everything cures or dries. The big danger is leaving fingerprints if not totally cured, but they can be treated (most of the time) with a quick squirt on the damaged area. Be patient, and whatever you do, don't drop your parts when wet unless you really like particulate in your finish!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 12 months ago:

Where'd you find it...? I can't seem to locate ANYTHING like it on the shelves down here (FL).

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 12 months ago:

I got mine at Walmart here in Indy.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 11 months ago:

I routinely use Future as glue for canopy parts, especially if these are attached after painting. It's a totally fool-proof way of avoiding glue stains on clear parts. Future is totally transparent and does not harm plastic nor the underlying paint. Should you not succeed anyway, just wash the canopy off with isporopyl alcohol and start over.

If your Future is too thin in consistency to be effective in the glue role, just pour off in a mixing bowl and leave overnight - it can get as thick as you want it.

Works also for attaching pre-parinted photoetch or placards in cockpits!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Great versatile stuff to use and as stated above has many uses. I primarily use it as a gloss coat for my decal session of the project and as Bryan stated, I have not waited a day for it to set as I had went ahead and started the decal process about an hour after I applied it for the first time I ever used it. Never had an issue with it being affected with the Aerosol,Aeroset or Solvaset solutions to this point. Of course depending on the subject, I don't always finish this in one day. And it lasts forever, I have had my future for over 8 years now and it is still more than half full, so it has a heck of a shelf life.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

• Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks everyone - I had to suck it up and go to Wally World...-arrrggghhhh...to find it.
    I appreciate all the good advice! I have this F4F-4 Wildcat I am building, my first try at the 3 tone paint scheme. I put the dark blue upper fuselage and wings coat on and thought "wow that's a really nice color" - I was very pleased but after a day or two thought it was just too glossy... so last night I made the command decision to coat it with "Dullcoat'...OK now it's just a leetle tooo dull...I put that future on it this evening and its 'juuuusst right"!

Whoever thought of putting it on models had a great idea! My Dodge pickup truck is 14 years old. I'm gonna look for a 10 gallon bucket of that stuff and paint it! (just kidding..but I may go back and put some on some or all of my other 3 models)

• Profile Photo
    Johannes Gerl said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Reading all that marvellous things I'm getting more annoyed day by day that they don't sell it in Germany. Does anyone have an idea where I can get it in central Europe? Sweden, France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland?

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Unless you have a friend that can bring it over from the US, this may be worth trying

or in the UK, where the same product is called Pledge Klear

A single bottle should last for 10 years πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Many thanks, Martin.
    I got a friend in the US. I'll have a try ...
    I found yesterday after I made my post a website with a source in Germany, too. I'll report if it's turning out to be successful.
    Do they sell it in Sweden? I travel there quite regularly.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 10 months ago:

It used to be called Johnson Klar on some EU markets. Right now I believe that its called
    Pledge Extra Protection Wax in the Nordics. There are some online discussions where people stated that the formulation has changed as well, meaning that the β€œnew” Pledge is not the same quality anymore from the modeling point of view. Personally, I’m still only halfway through my bottle of US-made Future that I brought home in 1999 πŸ™‚ .

http://www.scjohnson.se/nqcontent.cfm?a_id=7968

• Profile Photo

Many thx again, Martin.
    In the meantime I have found this: http://www.modellbaufarben.de
    They sell it in 100 ml and 200 ml bottles in Germany. πŸ™‚