”Fury” Info required

Started by neil foster · 7 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I've just seen the trailers for the new WW2 movie Fury, with Bradd Pitt(s) and would like to do the Sherman tank in a little dio',I don't know much about the differences in the various Sherman tank Mk's ,so can anyone advise a correct 1/48 Sherman kit for this project.
    What a fantastic idea for a war movie a handfull of U.S. soldiers beating off the entire German army,why has no-one thought of that before ?,RELAX I'm only kidding ! 🙂
    N.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 9 months ago:

C'mon guys ,someone must know something about Sherman tanks...
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Neil:

Tamiya has a couple of 1/48 Shermans, I believe an early one and either a later and/or a Firefly.

It seems to me that Monogram/Revell had a 1/48 Sherman with an M4 Halftrack, but thats been awhile, unless somebody has some to sell. They were rudimentary appearing, I did not see one "in the plastic", only an ad someplace. They also had 1/32 Shermans, but not what you need.

Aurora had a 1/48 Sherman years ago, probably a collectors item at this point.

According to the leaflet in one of my Tamiya boxes, the early Sherman is their kit #32505, and the later is #32523, an M4A1 (whatever that is).

Their U.S. Army infantry set is #32513, and there are two German sets, Infantry #32512, and panzergrenadiers, #32514.

That help?

Hey, I'm an airplane guy, but I always thought a couple of vehicles around them would look more realistic, not to mention figures.

Good luck and regards,
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Hi Neil, the only 1/48 scale Sherman close to the pictures of the movie tank is the Hobby Boss M4A3E8 Tank US Korean War #84804. It has as detail differences in the engine deck and exhaust but they are similar enough to pass muster.

The Hobby Boss kit does have some issues with the suspension if I recall correctly, but search for review builds and those should answer any questions.

That's about your only choice for an "off the shelf" 1/48th scale Sherman that has the right turret/gun/hull/ suspension/ track combination to look like "Fury"

Rick

• Profile Photo
    Scott Nelson said 9 years, 6 months ago:

Neil,

I did some research about this movie after having seen it and according to the movie website and Wikiepedia they used an M4A2E8 from the Bovington Tank Museum to represent an M4A3E8. My understanding is that you wouldn't really know the difference between the two from the exterior so a good M4A3E8 kit would do.

Scott

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Bernard ,Rick, Scott, thanks for the info I'll keep an eye out for a kit,Cheers Neil.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Check your local schedule on the Smithsonian Channel..."Tanks of Fury" is an excellent reference for your build. A one-hour behind the scenes look at the making of the movie.