Paint mix for rubber tires?

Started by Editor · 8 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Wonder what you guys are using to paint rubber tires.

My mix of preference is Tamiya XF-64 Red Brown + XF-1 Black. It works OK for "unweathered" rubber, but there must be better choices, so let's hear!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I'm using Vallejo 70.306 Dark Rubber - it's good for weathered rubber and you can add a black to it to get a more "unused" state. Also I'm using two colors from AKAN - 79042 (new rubber) and 79043 (old rubber). I've used 79043 for the SdKfz.232 and 79042 for my current Sherman D-Day build. Vallejo's 70.306 is something similar to 79043.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I use Tamiya XF 85 Rubber Black. You can always darken it with XF 1.
    It depends on the scale I suppose.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I used Polly S "grimey black" acrylic. The Polly acrylics were owned by Testors & dropped. This particular color has been reintroduced under the Testors' banner as "grimey flat black"
    I also use it on armor road wheels. It is a medium to dark grey.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Thanks all. Somehow I missed that Big T has a deddicated XF 85 Rubber Black shade. It must be new, or I have become too old to remember 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Yes it is a new(er) one along with XF 84 Dark Iron.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Tire Black was what I had used for many years for WWII era planes. This was from the Aeromaster Warbird colors line (Polly S was the suppler for Aeromaster). But I have since used up my last bottle. I would use Testor's Rubber for the jet age era A/C. It is in the small bottle. Like Al I have recently discovered using Polly S Grimy Black for tires. This is the closest I have been able to find to replace Aeromaster's Tire Black. Wasnt' aware either that Tamiya had this color and will look for it next time I need to replenish some detail colors. It is amazing how fast you can through all the different shades of black.

Chuck
    Fly Navy

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I usually use Humbrol matt black and tone it down with White until I get a very dark grey,tyres are rarely Black .
    N.