Second runs/pressings

Started by Paul Barber · 5 · 7 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Paul Barber said 7 years, 4 months ago:

As a recent returner to the hobby I have what I think might be a few reasonably 'novice' questions. I'd be grateful if people could give me their considered views.

How much quality do model kits lose as second and subsequent 'pressings' or 'runs' are made?
    How would you know if you were buying an early incarnation of the kit or not?
    Is it likely that 3-D printing could evolve as the manufacture process for model kits in the future?

Thank you for your thoughts

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Paul, welcome back!

You've got a really good resource right here, just ask. There is a great amount of knowledge here, lots of really knowlegable folks.

Being technology adverse, I will let others address the 3D printing possibilities.

Quality begins to suffer when a kit's been around for a looong time. And continuous usage. The molds suffer, and lots of flash begins to appear. Some companies will do a run, and then stop. At some point, they reissue the kit. Some of Monograms output are now from Revell, ( they merged) as are some of the former Matchbox line (company no longer around) and Heller. (ditto)(recently saw their CL 415, by Revell of Germany) .

Migrating molds, some of which show up in foreign boxings, with that countries markings.

Read the reviews in modeling magazines, and on on line sites, like this one. Usually, if it's a reappearance of a previously released kit, they'll tell you. Or posters will ask the question.

Mutton got up as lamb is sometimes an issue.

As the old Sarge told me, a long time ago, the dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

Good luck! It IS a good time to be a modeler!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Bernard - informative stuff. I've read allusions to the idea that people buy a number of boxes of the same kit when they are first released in order to get them 'fresh'. I can see a couple of reasons for that in your answer. Although, degradation of quality doesn't seem to be one given that you say it takes some time - perhaps the idea of the 'run' coming to the end is what drives it.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 7 years, 4 months ago:

Paul, Monogram and Revell used to mold the date of manufacture somewhere on their kits, usually someplace you could file or scrape it off. Various releases have the RELEASE date on the box- Hasagawa does that. The plans usually have the date on them, someplace. Or the copyright date.

Books on individual manufacturers also will tell you when the kit first saw the light of day.

If there are defects of some kind, or the molds are slipping, there's usually comment on magazine and on line reviews, and comments on both from us.

If you belong to a club, the members usually bring kits in to show, both built and unbuilt, and comment about the pros and cons. That way, you can see whats in the box, before you plunk down your $$.

Reviews are not the final word, but it'll help you avoid some of the not-so-obvious umpteenth reissues of a real dog.

I find that multiple buys of the same kit are usually 'cause there are a couple of schemes I (ahem) plan to do. Yeah, that's it. Rather than save one, in the hope it might be worth something more later on. Doubtful. New stuff supercedes it, tastes change.

Fresh moldings are easier to work with than the 4 millionth tired pressing.

You'll be learning by doing, like the rest of us. Asking is easier than that sinking feeling that the latest addition to the closet of shame isn't what one hoped.

A favorite story of mine: another modeler told us he was really happy when Aurora (one of the original companies, back in the OLD DAYS) had reissued one of theirs he remembered fondly from his plastic yuth. He bought one, and was sitting in his car on the parking lot, and opened it. He was REAL disappointed, and said he put it under one of the wheels, and drove over it! Nostalgia is OK, but it will only take you so far.

• Profile Photo

Thanks again for your thoughts. That's a great mental image - I am sure I'll find a reason to perpetrate a hit on a kit at some point during my return! I have just moved my family from London to The Gold Coast, Australia. I will look for a club once we are all properly settled!