Stash too big?

Started by Editor · 16 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Editor said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Thought I'd share this pic. This is ONE modeler's stash put up for sale at a local hobby show. Must have been well over 500 kits, all 1/72 aircraft, amy of them stuffed with extra resin goodies etc.

Needless to say, I arrived home yesterday carrying a share of this pile... can't help thinking that one day, I'd be standing there at some modeling show selling my lot. The number of unbuilt kits in the universe in steadily increasing.

• Profile Photo
    said 11 years, 1 month ago:

Wow! Makes my stash look really reasonable by comparison. I'd love to know why he's getting rid of so many, and whether this is just the tip of the iceberg!

• Profile Photo
    Matthew Sorensen said 11 years, 1 month ago:

That might be considered boarder line hording.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 11 years ago:

My stash is too big also, that is why I have a self imposed ban on the purchasing of new kits. That does not mean I am not willing to trade, the goal though is not to increase the quantity of kits, just adjust the contents to something I am more likely to build, given the chance. As it is, if I retired tomorrow and started working on my kits I probably would not complete them before either dropping dead or getting so shakey I couldn't build.

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 11 years ago:

I've never had more than 15-20 unbuilt kits at any one time...exactly for the reason Walt stated. Wouldn't get to 'em all and no place to put 'em (short of "rotating the stock" periodically). Right now I have 4 or 5...that's it.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 11 years ago:

This is an aspect of the hobby thats very difficult to avoid ,my own small stash of about10 kits is slowly growing even though I consciously try not to ,the reason why I think is easy,when we were kids we either had to use our limited pocket money (if you got any) or had to plead with parents,now as adults with our own income there is much less restraint and so we buy what we want.

I went to a large club day in the U.K. last weekend (Cosford) and saw one of our club members spend about £400 on kits which will probably never get built, another club member who is about 40 years old, and who's work regularly wins first prizes at national level comps, has worked out that that if he builds a kit every two months steadily for the rest of his life,asuming he has a normal lifespan, he will not complete all the kits in his stash and he's still buying more,he can laugh as he says it though.I know one guy who's been into the hobby all his life,in his 50's now who's stash is in thousands -literaly!.

Of course the next problem is what to do with them once built, I keep em for a while and then stick em on Ebay unless they go into the catorgary of "favourites".

N.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 11 years ago:

Impulse buying is a well-known behavior in the modeling community and it would be interesting to learn more about how the kit industry is thinking about this when designing their products. They gotta know that a large portion of their production never get to the completion stage.

The "desirability" of a kit itself is obviously known to drive sales (Eduard exploiting this aspect with expensive "Profipack" releases comes to mind). The tricky thing is that the easy way to boost the "wow factor" in a kit used to be increase the number of detail parts, another is to produce larger models. We've seen both trends lately (complex, all-inclusive kits, and kits in larges scales).

The backside is that obviously the chance of actually finishing something decreases with kit complexity - Tamiya and Hasegawa seem to have understood this in their approach to kit design. A few years ago, Dragon started an opposite trend, producing tank kits (starting with the Tiger) almost 1000 parts in them. Everone wanted the kit at the time, but I've never seen any of them completed. I believe that overly complex kits eventually also turn off customers from purchasing more - people simply realize they don't have any chance of building them. Or do they...

• Profile Photo
    steven a weinmann said 10 years, 11 months ago:

I have about 160 in my stash now im carefull not to get caught up in the impulse buy but I love yhe thrill of going on a road trip to some far away hobby shop in an effort to find that rare unseen kit Its the thrill of the cahsed if you will. Im setting a cap 200 is the limit...I hope

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 11 months ago:

I wish I would have never read this string. Look at my post in the Man Caves group & you will see what I'm talking about. Consider there is another full wall not in the pictures.
    I will admit to being an impulse buyer but I also will get on a subject kick.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 10 years, 11 months ago:

A couple of points on this. Surely one reason we buy these kits is that we don't know how long they will be available for. If we don't buy them now, we probably won't be able to buy them we want to build them, unless we want to get ripped off by somebody on e-bay. The big danger is that we start to build them, then, for whatever reason, they get put back on the shelf, losing any future resale value., as part built kits are not usually worth a lot

• Profile Photo
    Paul Wilsford said 10 years, 10 months ago:

Shaky hands you say? I get shaky hands when I see a kit I must have an have the money on hand. I guess you could say I do a lot of impulse buying. I have about 39 or so kits in the stash because that is all the room I have for them, let alone the built ones.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 7 months ago:

My stash numbers about 15 unbuilt kits and few partially built ones. Most are older, as I don't tend to hoard stuff. My serious modeler phase has long since passed, so I look for less complicated kits to build. I just can't see spending a hundred bucks on one of the new "super" (nice as they are) plastic models!

• Profile Photo
    Anthony C said 10 years, 7 months ago:

I only have about 30 or so kits.I don't see myself exceeding that number.I build about 6-7 a year.

• Profile Photo
    William J Benton said 10 years, 5 months ago:

Looks about right 🙂

Will

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 5 months ago:

I can hold my hand up and say that my stash was in the main brought from MZ and their deals, especially their closing down sale.
    I now look at them as investments for future times , when money and availability could be tight.
    But I think that some people have just got to buy the latest kit, like they are addicted to it.