1/48 Tamiya Spitfire Mk I

Started by Jaime Carreon · 40 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Ready for the next project - a 1/48 scale Tamiya Spitfire Mk I. One of the prettiest airplanes ever built. Hope to get started next weekend after keeping the airline going for another few days.

I have already noticed a problem. There are only two sprues of plastic in this kit. I'm a little worried...

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Thats all there is too it. Jaime, easy, fun to build Spit. No over engineering and well detailed.
    Enjoy it.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Dont forget the poly caps! Its a lovely kit to build Jaime, my wife is building the same kit for the G.B but there is no problems there mate.

Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Cut off those protruding gun barrels.

• Profile Photo

Only two sprues and I have to trim off gun barrels? I don't know if I can handle the pressure! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I think I've got some sprues I can send you if that will make you happier. I'm not sure how the engine parts out of a Tamiya He 162, and the suspension for a Sherman tank are going to help you out, but you will have more parts. 😉

• Profile Photo

Had a few minutes last night after work to get started on the Spit. Got all the cockpit bits that are supposed to be interior green painted, and drilled out the lightening holes in the seat bulkhead. The offending protruding gun barrels have been removed.

That wore me out so much, I went to bed...

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Got a little more work done on the Spitfire. Most of it was in the cockpit area, where everything has been painted and some of it assembled. The instrument panel was painted with a mix of flat and semigloss black, with the instrument faces touched up with Future, then drybrushed with silver to pop them out. There is no detail molded into the instruments and a decal would have been nice, but it came out pretty well. A few miscellaneous switches were picked out in red, yellow and white.

The cockpit floor and sides, rudder pedals and seat bulkhead were painted and treated to a dark wash. I drilled out the lightening holes in the seat bulkhead - a few minutes of work made a world of difference in this part. Seat was painted with my TLAR bakelite color mix. Does anyone know what color the seat back cushion should be? Instructions say black..

I also assembled the wings and removed the one protruding gun barrel. This is the first Tamiya kit I've ever built and I do have to say it's just clicking together. Don't know why I didn't try one of them earlier!

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

As far as the color of the seat cushion is concerned, black is accurate but so is a reddish brown. As with my Spitfire Mk.II, I painted my seat with Floquil "Panzer Brown" which matched the color of bakelite. When this dried, I applied a red brown oil paint on the cushion and wiped off the excess. The oil paint dried to a semi gloss finish giving a nice subtle contrast to the dead flat finish of the Floquil enamel. If you do not have oil paint, you can just use a brown leather color then go over it with a semi gloss clear. You can also use the semi gloss clear over black if that is the color you want to go with. Either way, it should come out looking fine.

Also, some Spitfires had their seats painted in interior green. I do not know if these were metal seats or over painted bakelite. They were a sort of rarity though. Still, I went with the green seat with a red brown cushion on my Tamiya Mk.I and no one ever cried foul.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Great start Jaime! Nice paintwork in the pit.

• Profile Photo

Seamus, your advice worked like a charm. I painted the cushion a dark brown (same as the headrest), then went over it with a light coat of Future when it dried. Then a dark wash to bring out the detail and damned if it doesn't look like beat up leather! Rich Corinthian leather, of course... 🙂

• Profile Photo

Glad I could be of help.

• Profile Photo

Got in a little more build time on the Spit today after the grandkids left. All the remaining bits were painted and added to the sidewalls. After installing the oxygen bottles on the left side, I took a break and wound up reading an article stating that Spitfire I's only had one O2 bottle and it was half the size of the ones in the kit. The kit part represents the compressed air cylinders for charging the guns on cannon armed airplanes. I didn't feel like cutting them out and hacking them up, and they do look pretty good, so there they will stay.

I experimented with the seatbelts, using masking tape as a medium. I was originally going to go whole hog and do the belts and the restraint cable, but I am really enjoying this build and saw no reason to complicate things. The grommets of the Sutton harness are represented with small dots of brass paint filled in with a dark center. The photos look horrible in retrospect, but from outside the completed cockpit they don't look too bad. If I leave the canopy closed, they'll look even better! I'm going to have to work on that.

Fuselage was then assembled and cockpit dropped in. No fuss at all, unlike the last Spitfire kit I did. I added a photo of that one at the same build stage just for comparison.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Jaime, those two cylinders are compressed air/oxygen and were used to help feed ammunition into the Spitfire's guns. They are totally accurate for a machine gun equipped Mk.I. The small oxygen bottle you read about was for the pilot and was mounted on the rear starboard wall behind the pilot. Unfortunately, Tamiya does not include the pilot's oxygen bottle in their kit, but you could always borrow one from a 1/48 Hasegawa Spitfire

• Profile Photo

A little more work on the Spitfire today. It now looks like an airplane with wings and stabilizers attached. A little scraping and filing and she'll be ready for paint. This kit has gone together very well so far. I'll try to post a few pics later.

Seamus, the missing O2 bottle was gnawing at me a little, so I ended up scratch building one from a piece of sprue in the kit. One end was already rounded with a little nubbly on it that looked just like a shutoff valve, so I rounded the other end, painted it and glued it in. Looks pretty good, I think, though it will be a little hard to see.