BoF/BoB Group Build Part 3a – All’s Well That’s Wheel Well.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 9 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Today is Independence Day here in the States. Hope my mates in the U.K. are not harboring any hard feelings. After all, you U.K. lads had to fight for your independence also, which is what this group build is all about. I figure you understand.

Anyway, I took the day off from my household “To Do” list and spent some time at the modeling bench working out a scratch built landing gear bay for my 1/32 Hawker Hurricane. No wizardry here, boys. Nor any special tools. Just a good mechanics ruler, the Mk.I eyeball, and measuring twice and cutting once. The best tool here is patience.

Using mostly plastic card, plastic rod, metal tubing and stretched sprue, I have completed most of the bulkheads for the landing gear bay. As most of this will not be seen once the Hurricane is sitting on its wheels, I am not going for 100% accuracy, just something a bit more reasonable than what the kit has to offer. I took a little artistic license and a bit of creative gizmology here and there but, overall it looks like a Hurricane wheel bay so far. This is the easy part, I still have to modify the kit landing gear and make sure everything lines up, then I will complete the roof and close her up but that will not be until much later on.

The hardest bits so far were creating the non-return valves and the air tank. Other than that, things went swimmingly.

17 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Seamus, hope you enjoyed your July 4th celebrations. The Stars and Stripes (and the Union Jack, for that matter) are popular fashion decorations in China, I guess red, white and blue always look good together. As for the Hurricane, it's obviously going to be a well built model, I'm really looking forward to following the rest of the build.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 10 months ago:

More lovely work on the Hurri. Looking good there - a belated happy Independence day BTW.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

If you build the wholeckit like you have so far it will definitely be impressive. I think I might be looking at one of the benefits of 1/32nd scale.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 10 months ago:

That all looks really impressive so far but will make more sense when it's in situ,I will start my thread this week.
    N.

• Profile Photo

I really hope this all will make sense once it is in situ, Neil. The Hurricane has a really complex landing gear system with all kinds of telescopic actuators and such. I am not going for 100% accuracy though. Just enough to make things look reasonable.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Looking good, Seamus. I need a magnifying glass to even see the pictures, though...

• Profile Photo

I can see the pictures just fine, Jaime. They are of the usual size. Maybe something is not opening up properly on your end.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Beautiful work Seamus