BoF/BoB Group Build Part 5- A Proper Propeller.

Started by Seamus Boughe · 7 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I have finally decided to depict my Hurricane as a mount of 501 Squadron, particularly one of the two Hurricanes flown by James Harry "Ginger" Lacey. It seems that all of the 501 Squadron Hurricanes that flew during the "Battle of Britain" were equipped with Rotol propellers and Spitfire spinners. Thankfully, the Revell kit comes with a Rotol propeller which, for a kit of this vintage, has well rendered blades. However, the kit spinner looks nothing like anything I have seen on a Spitfire, Hurricane, or any other RAF fighter. Luckily, I had a Spitfire Mk.I spinner left over from my Revell/Hasegawa Spitfire build (I choose to build the Mk.II version). One problem I discovered was the spinner's back plate was of a smaller diameter than where it would meet the fuselage. So out with the plastic card, rod, and tubing. A little cutting, fitting, shimming, contouring, and sanding and before I knew it, I had a decent Rotol propeller with a Spitfire spinner. During the time I was getting the propeller together, I also added detail to the undercarriage doors and made the small hatch that covers the port for accumulator trolley access.

11 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Nice Seamus, where did you get that jig for the props?
    It looks a handy tool...

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Yeah, that's a very nice prop alignment tool. Want one! Is it available commercially?

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 8 months ago:

I am put in mind of something my sainted Father used to say..."Tis better to have something and not need it than to need something and not have it." That kind of sums up this prop jig. The occasion to use it does not arise very often, but when it does, I am sure glad that I have it. Anyway, this tool is called the "Propmaster' and is available from http://www.umm-usa.com. It comes in sizes for !/72, 1/48, and 1/32 propellers. Funny, but I have yet to see a 1/72 aircraft kit with separate prop blades though I know of some 1/48 aircraft kits that do. The best bet is to buy the 1/32 size as 1/48 will fit on it also.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 8 months ago:

A very elegant solution Seamus, looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Great stuff Seamus! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the "office" as the basic kit hasn't got a lot of detail in that area.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 8 months ago:

Your dad was right, but if you have what you need and can't find it in the clutter, what then? 🙂

Two countries separated by a common language - when you say "accumulator" to me, I think of a device used to store air under pressure as a backup to a hydraulic system. Never would have thunk it was a battery...Took me a while to figure out what a trolley acc was.

Looking good so far Seamus!