First 'group build' try - JU-87 B-2 Stuka, Italeri 1/48

Started by Ralph Clements · 51 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Ralph Clements said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Rick, George and Gregor - I appreciate your input.

Rick, the frustration level is not the worst I've had with any of the kits I've built, that Kingfisher was very trying on my patience. I did get the front end attached as well as I could and am moving forward. There is a point in the building process where it all begins to 'come together' and when I reach that I will feel better about it I'm sure.

George, I'm sure with the sponsor ads you mention, doing something quick and dirty by hand like I did is not an option, those ads are much more complex than this tail symbol. I kind of think making that Nazi symbol in two halves like some companies do is a reasonable compromise. Maybe the Italeri management themselves have strong personal feelings and just won't have any part of it and so they omit it altogether. If so, I respect them for it...

Thanks Gregor - I hope to post a picture or too here soon. I have had to concoct my own paint for the underside, to get the subtle grayish blue, using a 50/50 MM Aircraft Gray to thinner mix with a small amount of Testors standard, medium dark, blue mixed in.

• Profile Photo

OK as Gregor asked, here is a little pictorial progress report. Canopy pieces, the blueish gray concotion underside paint job and wings/fuselage/landing gear together...

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress Ralph. Nice job on the canopy framework, which is quite complex. Looks like you should get it done by the end of next month.

• Profile Photo

Okay, some progress has been made, but it seems often like one step forward, two steps back. Most recent, this evening, broke the tail wheel off. At least I could find it! It's back on now.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Looking good Ralph, I feel your pain, I broke my tail wheel too. I haven't tackled my canopy frames yet because I haven't sorted all the vacuformed sections out yet. Looking forward to seeing yours when it's finished.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 7 months ago:

The canopy looks very neat, Ralph Congratulations on finding the tailwheel. My usual modelling area has a hard wood floor, and it's amazing how far bits bounce when they fall!

• Profile Photo

Thankfully the tail wheel landed on the table, which is good because I am sure there is some wormhole portal to another dimension between my table and the floor. I am too big to fit in it, but any model part can !

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 7 months ago:

Great progress Ralph, the tailwheel looks none the worse for wear. Keep up the good work.

• Profile Photo

I was fortunate enough to find my tail wheel twice, for which I profusely thanked which ever minor diety that controls that transdiminisional window you referenced. I've found that regular sacrifices of blood, spilled paint and ruined decals keep it at bay, but every so often it eats whole subassemblies if I've missed an offering...

• Profile Photo

That's funny Rick! Sorry to hear you have one too, but it is heartening to learn I am not the only one who has witnessed this phenomena, and that it is not just a 'fragment of my imagicnation'

You'll note in the side view photos I last posted a small blue "L" shaped antenna is visible on the lower left side, the one on the lower right also slid, or was sucked, down the wormhole, probably out to the Antares system for all I know, but if it pops out on your end let me know. It's maybe 1/8" on the long side.

• Profile Photo

I'll be on the look out...lol. I have yet to install them on mine, actually I think they are steps, but you my be right about them being antennas. Look in your spare parts, it maybe hiding in there disguised as a pitot tube or AOA vane.

• Profile Photo

Some of the Revell kits I've built aren't hitting on much but one thing I do like about them is that the instructions have a parts list that tells me what each one is. A step makes sense.

• Profile Photo

FOUND THAT LITTLE SONOFAGUN!
    YAY!

It took a diligent hands and knees with flashlight search, but I founf the lost right side step, so now I can re-attach it. Oh it will feel better to have that sense of symmetry restored! It is quite small as you can see, (yeah, that's my index finger it's sitting on) but it really bugged me that it was missing.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Another lost part, and it's replacement...

Aw gee, the wing leading edge clear lens flew off into the void last night...despite diligent search she seems gone forever...so I crafted this replacement out of some clear plastic packaging material - it seems to fit pretty good but I have my doubts about actually getting it attached successfully...if that lens wasn't in such a visible prominent spot, I probably would have just gone on without it.

I hope the cure is not worse than the disease in this case.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks pretty good to me Ralph. The lost part should reappear as soon as you get the replacement faired into the wing..