Is it too late to join in? Either way, here is a starter pic. Bristol Beaufighter 1/32 scale

Started by California Steve · 19 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    California Steve said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Actually this is almost done. A whole lot of scratch building going on here. You can see from these photos where I am going with this project...
    California Steve

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George Williams said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I think the battle rages on, Steve, but you'd have to check with Seamus. Is this a night fighter/bomber by any chance? Which kit is it? A 1/32 scale Beaufighter must be pretty big...

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

WOW, Steve, i guess you will bring the Revell Beaufighter to live !

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looks great Steve, the big Revell Beaufighter is a nice kit, with surprisingly few parts for a model in this scale.

• Profile Photo

Yes it is the Revell kit and here are some more WIP pics...

Here is the list so far.

Interior instrument lights. front and rear.

Electric engines

Landing lights

I am trying nav lights but it is fighting me.

All controlled by micro switches in the wheel wells.

And!... all battery systems buttoned up inside the aircraft, Free standing display.

As you can see I had to assemble this model in a completely different way to get the

drive shafts through the engine.

The whole bomb bay area detaches to get to the battery's.

And yes this is taking a long time. Oh, Pilot and navigator are from 21st Century.

I'm not that good at figures, ...figures! Enjoy.

California Steve

8 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Outstanding work Steve, you're really making thoroughbred out of that old war horse.

• Profile Photo

I just love this model. I wanted to see how far I could push my modeling skills. I still have a long way to go on the skill part. That's why I love this hobby. Thank you for your nice words Rick.
    California Steve

• Profile Photo
    Rob Pollock said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looks good, Steve. I like additional detail.

• Profile Photo

Thanks everyone. Sorry I haven't replied promptly. I am almost done and will post a completion soon.
    California Steve

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Wow...you and those lights. That sort of thing really brings a model to life. I'll bet you could use all your models to light a room if they were all put in the same place. Love your work!

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Can t wait to see the propellers rotating ! Your modelling is awesome 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 5 months ago:

I like the mechanic pic Steve, was he pointing out the next part?

• Profile Photo

I will try to answer all of your questions here.

Yes my LED stuff would light up a room. That was for Craig.

Bernd, I have the propellers wired into three pack cartridge of AAA batteries. They will run for almost two hours! Surprised me.

Simon, The Sargent build master is pointing out the complex way I had to fit the motors, and mount the drive shafts, I had to make sure they protruded all the way through the engines. Then here was the tricky part. I had to attach the three piece engine cowlings. then the front engine cowling and attach the prop in one step. Making sure not to get any superglue on the drive shaft. The drive shafts are solid brass that run through the engines through hollow brass tubing. I had to use superglue and light oil at the same time in one step to make sure everything ran smoothly. There was no other way to do this. And I had to do it twice. Whew. It is working so here is a WIP pic so all of you don't think I am completely crazy... OK maybe just a little.
    California Steve

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Steve, if you had left the flat spot off the tires I bet you could get a fast taxi out those engines.. 😉

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 5 months ago:

Looks really cool. Well done.