Tamiya 1/48 D.520 WIP - With a question

Started by Editor · 91 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Martin, if you do decide to try reshaping the nose be careful, you might sand through the plastic on the corners.

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I have made up my mind with regard to this nose. Still not entirely sure what is "right" or "wrong" with regard to facts, in particular if there indeed were variations of its shape throughout the D.520's lifetime. Additional check with a set of D.520 drawings indicated that the Tamiya's nose seems to be ok in length.

Alas, upon another scurtiny of the available photo material I decided that some smooting out would be necessary. Have a look at the following two images.

Here is what the kit's nose looks like.

...and this is the photo from a similar angle that shows that a curvature is missing at the top "corner" of the cowling, plus that its underside should be gently curved without a visible "kink" that is apparent on the model.

So this is the plan. Some building up and reshaping at the top, and some sanding at the bottom.

(It may sound like I'm doing this kind of stuff with every model, but no. I have never attempted to build up a kit's shape so this will be a fun new thing to try.)

Will keep you posted.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Still looks to me that a shim is needed between the fuselage & nose piece to extend it a little before smoothing.
    Also, the actual aircraft image does not show a lower panel split between the nose piece & leading edge just a rivet line. So, depending on where Tamiya culled their info it is possible there were two differently shaped noses.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Good luck with that Martin! I know its not something i'd be trying - way to tricky for me 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 9 months ago:

I would first add a shim as Al suggested then laminate some plastic sheet along the top using a hot liquid cement like Pro-weld or Tamiya extra thin. I would let this dry for at least two days before sanding and shaping. If anyone has a technique that is better or easier than mine, I would be really interested in learning about it.

• Profile Photo

After adding the extra plastic as Seamus recommends, I would make up some Tamiya 2 part epoxy putty, and roll up a thin snake and wrap it around the edges. Press that in and smooth it out. That will let you feather the edges easier.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 9 months ago:

Whatever you choose to do Martin, lets see the progress pics please 🙂

• Profile Photo

Al, Seamus, it didn't occur to me previously that the nose cap looks too short... this might well be the case. I must admit feeling a bit lost about all the shape intricacies here, but at least I couldn't resist checking...

I aligned the two pictures with each other so that the length of the engine cowling between the two vertical panel lines just in front and just behind the exhhausts match. Then I drew a third line where the kit nose cap ends

I reckon that the nose cap in the Tamiya kit is a tad too short, but the difference does not seem to be that big. This is good news to me, as I would like to avoid ripping off the glued part, therefore I'm choosing to ignore it 🙂

Now it's time to cut some plastic!

PS. I found it also interesting to examine the photos of 1/32 replacement nose that Contact Resine once produced for the larger Azur kit. See it as yet another take on the same subject...

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The surgery begun tonight by shaving and filing flat the two upper "corners" of the nose piece. The flat surfaces will hopefully provide a solid base to build the new volumes on.

With regard to lamination or epoxy putty - thanks for these tips. I haven't really tried any of these yet, so I'm sticking with a method which is familiar to me, using sutiable scrap pieces of plastic bonded with thick superglue. Gap-filling superglue has a significant advantage as filler. When dry, it is in all respects similar to stryrene - no risk for shrinkage, softness, chipping edges. Hardened superglue can be sanded and scribed consistently with the surrounding plastic.

In this case, "a suitable scrap piece of plastic" is 1/144 fuselage half of a Tornado which is lending its nose cone to this project.

Here's everything bonded with generous blobs of Zap-A-Gap. Looking good...

A bit of preliminary sanding finishes the job for today.

I feel that I'd need to proceed very carefully from this point forward. Attached spinner servers as a visual guide, but I'm feeling that I'd need more aids to ensure a symmetrical shape.

• Profile Photo

Looking good Martin. I like you idea of using the Tornado noses, built in curve. You might want use a drop tank, etc. rather than the kit spinner, while you're shaping the nose just to avoid nicking it. I know i'd screw that up quick..lol
    I have never had any luck using super glue as a filler. I've had friends show me over and over and I just can't get the hang of it. Sure glad Mr Surfacer came along. 🙂

• Profile Photo

Your a lot more aggressive on this than I would have been. I too have not had much luck using SG as a filler. I always seem to have a ghost edge after sanding it down.
    As you say it is a question of patience & #1 eyeball from this point.

• Profile Photo

It's a funny thing about fillers. I guess that everyone seems to find something that works well enough for them and then stick with it. I have for years used solvent-based putties (Squadron green stuff) for fuselage seam filling, but found it rather frustrating to work with when re-scribing panel lines over the puttied seam. Somebody pointed to me back then that if I started gluing (and filling) the fuselage halves with SG I would avoid such problems, and this is indeed what happened.

Some people refer to SG curing to a rock-hard stuff. I didn't find this to be the case, which may depend on the kype of SG and any accelerator that is being used. For my best results, I stick with Zap-A-Gap and let it air-dry.

I'm also using Mr Surfacer for all kinds of small filling jobs and it's great. Still learning about all its virtues. But you can't build up a volume with it (?).

• Profile Photo

I only use Mr. Surfacer when trying to fill seams where you still want the seam to show, wing to fuselage joints for instance. Been using a plastic wood that comes in a tub for similar applications. It is water based & can be wiped off with a wet finger.
    When using products like these I will put the assembly in my food processor before painting to shrink it as much as possible.

• Profile Photo

I think you mean your food DEHYDRATOR...lol. 😉

• Profile Photo

Actually when you take out of the processor you put it in a jello mold then put it in the dehydrator & in 30 minutes your model is done.
    Yes, I meant food dehydrator.