Welcome to iModeler's new Group Build!

Started by Editor · 62 · 9 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Seamus, I haven't built a model for a contest with any sort of initials in years, on the other hand iModeler and these Group Builds get me excited about building models again. When I get excited I get a bit wacky. I won't tell you about all my ambitions for the D-Day Group Build...lol. The only guy I have to beat is the "Headless Horseman" on Halloween night, if I don't get something done for this build, he'll ...yet to be determined..;-)

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Seamus,
    I'm aboard with the Dewoitine 520. Hope it fits into the project.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 10 months ago:

It definitely fits into the group build. I wonder why I don't have one of these in my stash.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 9 years, 10 months ago:

I've had a rethink after checking out my Ju 87 (1/48 Airfix) in the stash. It doesn't have BoB markings and i have a set of aftermarket decals for North African machines, which are really cool and i don't want to waste, so...I'm now gonna do the old Airfix 1/72 or 1/76 scale Control Tower. I've had it sitting about for ages, and its about time I did something with it. So i'm going for a small diorama - I have RAF ground crew figures and a Bofors gun so maybe i'll work them into it as well. I'll post up pics of all the bits shortly.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Go for it Gregor. Your thinking along the same lines as me the Blenheim when I get it.

• Profile Photo

That sounds pretty cool, Gregor! I have the old Airfix control tower also. I am going to use it as a template to build a 1/48 version. Anyway, has anyone seen the new RAF dispersal diorama set by Airfix with the new tooled Spitfire and ground vehicles? Looks pretty nifty.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Interesting choice Greg,I'm sure you know already but you can use clear plastic from a food container to do the glazing ,thats unless the kit comes with it supplied,the Airfix refueling set would look cool with that ,looking forward to seeing this done mate.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Neil, there's no kit supplied glazing, or any internal detail on the main building! why can't you use the clear plastic from food packaging?, not that I've tried before...!

• Profile Photo

Gregor,

Neil said that you can use clear plastic from a food container for the glazings. Given the size of the windows, I would suggest using Testor's clear parts cement/window maker. I have used it for making windows in small spaces and it works like a charm. I just do not know of its availability in your area.

• Profile Photo

Doh! Sorry folks - I need to stop trying to read all the comments so quickly. Seamus i'll see if I can hunt down the testors clear parts cement, although I haven't seen it around before.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Still trying to decide which way to go on the BoB GB. Do have an idea but only if it will fit in, I was already in process of building a Spitfire Mk.I, I started in Jan, but shelved it when the D-Day build was announced. But does anyone know if possible if I can fit in a P-39 Airacobra in this somewhere, or was it strictly in the MTO?

Chuck

• Profile Photo
    Paul Mahoney said 9 years, 10 months ago:

according to Wikipedia, the RAF took delivery of its first 2 P-39s on August 6, 1941. So don't think you could fit it in unfortunately...

• Profile Photo

Well that's out then. I thought that was a case as I don't remember the P-39 being mentioned in RAF use until the MTO and the African campaign. I believe in the East Indies as well.

• Profile Photo
    Paul Mahoney said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Well you might be able to use a yellow undersides and sneak it in as the evaluation aircraft :). Still probably not in the time range though.

• Profile Photo

Well i decided to go with a ground pounder. Since there will be a few Spits, Hurricanes and 109's, I wonder if Coastal Command were flying B-17C/D's yet.? Anyway I will do a Hanomag Kfz-251/1 type A. 1st Panzer Div, in France May 1940. Tamiya's classic 1/35th scale kit. That should do the job as the German Army drove the British Army towards Dunkirk.

Chuck
    Fly Navy