Bud Anderson's "Old Crow"

Started by Tom Cleaver · 5 · 1 month ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 2 months ago:

An Eduard P-51B overtgrees kit, with "Look-plus" instrument panel, Eduard seatbelts, Eduard Brassin resin wheels and Bullseye “Yoxford Boys #6" 48-035 to do the late Bud Anderson's famous "Old Crow".

This is a continuing experiment in doing "realistic" D-Day stripes. Close examination of the two photos of Old Crow with D-Day stripes shows they weren't nice and neat. I airbrushed thinned XF-2 Flat White for a "patch" look, then masked them off in slightly irregular sizes and airbrushed XF-1 Flat Black. Painted the camouflage (RAF Dark Green uppers, RAF Sea Grey Medium lowers) then unmasked the white stripes and brush-painted Flat White thined 60 (thinner)-40 (paint) over the white area, leaving "brush marks." When dry, it looks like the rapidly-applied stripes.

Full review at Modeling Madness 7-11-2024.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 months ago:

Fantastic result, my friend @tcinla! Looking forward to the review!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

Very nicely done, Tom @tcinla
    Those stripes do indeed look like they are applied manually.
    How did you create the irregularities at the demarcations between white and black.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

@johb - the "irregularities" are from the brushpainting. When the stripes are unmasked, that includes the black ones, too. I use a 000 brush, which I think would translate in 1/48 to a 4-6 inch brush for the guy painting the stripes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 month, 4 weeks ago:

@tcinla, thanks for explaining, Tom. Some steady hands are required to get this done.