D-Day Build – 1/48 AMT A-20G Havoc

Started by Jaime Carreon · 48 · 9 years ago · A-20, D-Day
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Jaime, not heard from you in a while, you are cutting fine on the deadline but you're not alone there my friend ,but hey it's just for fun, it's looking nice though.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hi Neil!

It's been a little crazy around here for the last few weeks. Hoping to get some more work done on the Havoc tomorrow, but then it's back to work Thursday. It's always something!

• Profile Photo

I didn't get as much done yesterday as I would have liked. Wings and nacelles have been assembled, am in the middle of painting engines and landing gear parts. Hope to get back to it next week after work.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Jaime, life is like that we all know what ever you have planned gets kicked into orbit by something else.
    It`s looking good mate.

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Jamie,
    Looking good so far. I look forward to seeing the final product.

• Profile Photo

It's a wet and rainy day here in beautiful suburban Houston. I salute all of the veterans here for your service. Hope all of you are enjoying the day.

Back to the bench. Engines were assembled and painted. Still have to pick out all the details, but that shouldn't take too long. They're not great, but will look just fine once they're tucked into the cowlings.

I spent a lovely half hour gluing all the exhaust fairings onto the cowling. That job was made more difficult by the fact the the embossed locators in the cowling were faint and very hard to see. I made an installation tool from a toothpick with the end cut off. Then I doubled a piece of blue masking tape on itself sticky side out and stuck it on the end of the toothpick. Take these things off the sprues one at a time and be careful when you cut them off. If you launch one into space, you'll never find it!

Nacelles were next. Fit sucks, and there was a pretty big gap on the upper surface of the right one where it fairs into the trailing edge of the wing. Some scrap plastic sheet took care of that. I'm definitely going to fill and sand these before they go onto the wing.

The landing gear was then installed. I had intended to paint everything before I assembled them, turns out it's a good thing I didn't. The first disappointment was finding out that it would not be possible to install the gear after the model is assembled. The wheel well openings are not wide enough, and it turned out that that would have been impossible anyway due to the way the gear is assembled. It's difficult to tell how everything goes by looking at the instructions, but once you get it laid out, it sort of explains itself, though not very well. One of the side braces on the right broke off while I was trying to cut the strut off the sprue, so I had to fabricate a new one. Use care when cutting these parts off. The sprue gates are huge, in really bad locations and there are a lot of the little nubblies that need to be trimmed off. The installation looks really sloppy, but I wanted to make sure I had some good glue joints as there's not a lot of support and these will be very fragile. I think it will look a lot better once I get some paint on. Fit is horrible, and be careful to get both struts aligned with one another, as when I first laid them out, the right one raked aft and the left one forward. Use slower setting glue here. Super glue will not make you a happy camper.

Now it's time to walk away and let everything dry. I think I picked the wrong time of my life to quit drinking...:-)

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Hey Jaime ,your making steady progress with your build and it's coming together nicely ,looking forward to seeing the finished item.
    Cheers N.

• Profile Photo

It's not coming along as fast as I would like, Neil, but it's getting there!

Got a little more done today. Landing gear is painted, still need to dirty it up a bit. All the seams are filled, now on to my favorite thing in the entire world - sanding seams! Unfortunately, I won't make the deadline, but I am looking forward to getting the airplane done.

Back to work tomorrow...

• Profile Photo

"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war..."

My plans to put in some modeling yesterday were interrupted by a day in the emergency room instead after my son broke his wrist at work. Life goes on..

I did manage to get the fuselage and nacelles sanded and rescribed. Landing gear and nacelles were dirtied up with a dark gray sludge wash, the the nacelles were then glued to the wings. There is some filling and sanding yet to go after the glue dries on those before I can install the wings. Things should go pretty quickly after that, as all the subassemblies are now complete.

Will try to get some new photos up next week...

• Profile Photo
    Frank Cronin said 9 years, 11 months ago:

Jamie,
    All the best to your son for a speedy recovery.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks, Frank. They're setting it today, so he should feel a lot better once the cast is on.

I managed to get the nacelle to wing seams filled last night before I went to bed. Fit there was good in some places and bad in others, just like the rest of the kit!

• Profile Photo
    César Espino said 9 years, 10 months ago:

Very well done Jaime, i lost that AMT model, i'm looking where to buyit again, will check your updates.

• Profile Photo

D plus 4:

Life finally settled down a bit and the MSW is back in business. Neil, if you need to move this to the WIP section, please feel free to do so.

The first part of today was spent sanding off all the putty on the fuselage and wing to nacelle joints. Engines were installed into their respective cowlings. The nose cap was glued on - not a good fit here at all so there will be some more sanding there.

Installing the wings is a bit tricky, so have some tape handy. There are no locating tabs, and the spar fits too loosely into the wing to hold it in place. I started gluing from the wing trailing edge where it joins the fuselage, as the little tab that is there is really the only positive locator on the wing. Some tape held the wing in place while I used some thin liquid cement to work my way around. It takes three hands to do this. Fit is ok, but not great, so there will be another session with my friend Mr.Putty. Be careful here. I dribbled a little cement down the fuselage and trying to wipe it off left me with a small divot to fill, This kit plastic is really soft.

Going to let the glue set up for a bit, then I'll get the putty on tonight before I go back to work. Might have the model done by the time the group moves from England to France...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Seamus Boughe said 9 years, 10 months ago:

She's starting to look like something. Keep us posted.

• Profile Photo

A little more progress today. All the putty is sanded off. Wheels and tires have been painted, just need to do all the detailing on them. Canopy is masked and installed. The cowlings have blue forward edges, so those were masked and painted before installing them.

Color scheme will be for an A-20G of the 410th BG, 646th BS, 9th AF. OD and dark green over gray. Going to try to get some painting done tomorrow...