D-Day build - 1/48 M4A1

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 34 · 10 years ago · 1/48, D-Day, D-Day Group Build, M4A1, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I've painted tracks. I've started from all black, then red brown XF-64 for pins and horns, then steel color for inner side of horns and for pins and finally - rubber black for rubber parts (inner and outer). It's not a final look - I'll apply washes and pigments as well. Any suggestions are very welcome.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Believe you have a handle on this one. You have successfully added visual intrest to good old O.D.

• Profile Photo

I've painted pioneer tools before applying filters. For metallic black color I've used a very dark gray mixed with Vallejo's metallic medium. Wooden parts will be improved with oils later (after a final varnish I think).

Also, I've made some chipping, but not much, because these tanks was very well primed and painted.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Thats great progress Dmitry. Your paintwork is fantastic.

• Profile Photo

Thank you guys for your comments!

I've applied filters - green, umber and ivory oils were used (I made filters and washes by myself with oils and Tikkurila 1050 white spirit). I know - maybe it's not so clearly visible on this low quality WIP photos, but believe me 🙂 After that I've applied a gloss varnish layer for decals and washes.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

It's visible to me & it looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Great build Dmitry, those Tamiya 1/48s are a welcome change, especially for dioramas .
    I just wish I could build as quick.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 10 years ago:

Decals and wash (dark brown color) were applied. Also, suspension parts assembled. Now it's time to add some weathering.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years ago:

Amazing work. Can't wait to see it finished. Very nice.

• Profile Photo
    Rick Wilkes said 10 years ago:

Really beautiful work on the paint, hard to believe this is 1/48th scale. I can't wait to see the finished piece.

• Profile Photo

Weathering. I've started with tinting using oils and white-spirit. Next step - streaks and pigments. Tracks assembled too.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Finished with streaks - I've added water and rust stains (not so much, because I don't want to make a "heavy weathered" model). Also, exhausts were treated with pigments (soot and dark rust). Next step - pigments, especially for the tracks.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years ago:

Looks great Dmitry. I can just barely see the streaks which is a good thing.

• Profile Photo

Done! Pigments added, wooden parts improved with oils, headlights improved with clear parts.

Some final WIP photos - all the rest we be on the last week of group build in June.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years ago:

Looks amazing Dmitry, I like the smoke around the end of the gun barrel,nice touch.
    N.