D-Day build 1/48th Bf109 G-10 Hasegawa oob

Started by Andrew Wainwright · 33 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Andrew Wainwright said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Guys, late to the party but I'm in with this one for the Dark side 😉

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Great choice! What markings are you doing it in?

• Profile Photo

Hi Gregor, I will be going with the box art of white 44, this simple overall scheme RLM76 can look stunning if you pre-shade and weather it right.

I have built this scheme in 1/32 and love it 😉

• Profile Photo

Nice! I find it hard to do these "all over" schemes well as I'm more a post shading painter. Look forward to seeing yours build up Andrew I like the late model 109's. Got the latest Revell 1/32 G-10, which may be my next build after the P-38 I'm doing in the D Day group.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Not to be too picky as myself really would like to see that BF-109 in that scheme, but doing some research on NJG11, they didn't start operating until Aug 1944. Was checking to see if they operated BF-110's but it doesn't fall into the D-Day window. Want to pose a question to Neil, do you have a specific time frame for D-Day, just units that operated on 6 of June 1944 or units that operated beyond a certain date as the war progressed beyond the beaches?

Thx Chuck

• Profile Photo

Howdi Chuck, well now I only came into this G/B as a favour to Neil, as he wanted some Axis stuff to address the balance of Spitfires and P51's Ya'll, BUT if it offends you that much I am more than happy to withdraw my entry Sir.

I just went with its a 109 G10 and they were active in 1944, not really looking at units 🙁

As of D-day if you want to be picky the Germans only sent two FW190's up that day!

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Hardly, not even a tad angry, hot or annoyed. Just a question. As I also saw a few other German aircraft that NJG11 flew, a number of unique aircraft like the Ju-88, BF-110 your BF-109G, etc. in unusual schemes. Would love to build one of those as well. So I am hoping that there is some room to allow some leeway in that regard. Don't need to get sensitive. It is not up to me in how this GB is managed or my decision. Otherwise the Luftwaffe would be quite limited in choices. I am absolutely want you to build that 109. I did mentioned that I would like to see you build it? You have every right to build it. So go for it and have fun.

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Hi Chuck, When we started the G/B it was to be D Day and the battle of Normandy, so there is a good time frame to go at ,I think most of the lads are sticking fairly close to D Day itself but the term "battle of Normandy" leaves some room for manouvre,like you said it's just for fun pal.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 10 years, 1 month ago:

There were more Luftwaffe sorties than the famous Fw-190 strafing run. The Germans flew over 150 sorties on June 6, Priller's strafing run over Juno and Sword beaches merely being the best-known for making it into the book "The Longest Day." They were the only fighters to make it into the air over Normandy that day. However, by June 7 the rest of JG 26 was operational over the beachhead, and within another two days other Jagdgeschwaders had been transferred from Germany. However, there weren't any German night fighter units involved in the battle of Normandy (which lasted till late July). There was a lot of air combat over the Normandy battlefield. However, reading German accounts of the battle, you're not going to find G-10s there (since they didn't show up till that fall, after Normandy). You're looking at Fw-190A-8, some Fw-190F-8, and Bf-109G-6 aircraft. Also some Ju-88s.

• Profile Photo

Hi Guys, made a little progress on the 109er

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking good Andrew. Nice to see it started 🙂 .

• Profile Photo
    Editor said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Looking good. Interesting that you could glue the fuselage halves together before painting the cockpit. Given the choice, that would be my preferred order of building aircraft kits.

• Profile Photo

Hi, the cockpit goes into the fuselage as a modular from underneath on this kit 😉

• Profile Photo

Progress continues 🙂

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nearly paint time

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.