D-Day Group Build Airspeed Horsa Mk1

Started by neil foster · 51 · 10 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    neil foster said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Well ,here is chapter three of my Horsa build,as you can see the fuselage comes in three sections, and with the tail section came my first hitch, the mouldings have marks to indicate where the supports for the tail wings go so I drilled some small holes to accept the locating pegs and continued with building the tail section up, this is when I realised the holes I made are in the wrong place and the wings are now forming an inverted v shape so I had no choice but to pull the tail section apart ,let the glue dry off and fill the holes I made and start again,in picture three of this group you can see the filled holes.

The next part of this build will be to assemble the fuselage sections including adding the lead weight in picture five and then move on to the wings ,I am going to open up the airbrakes and aeilerons and add some crew figures as I am hoping to build a simple dio showing the glider moments before landing .

Thanks for looking N.

P.S. As I know some of us are further advanced with our G/B projects than others,I thought it would be great if we could all show our finished builds in the last week before the closing date,rather than in dribs and drabs (that's a British expression but I'm sure you can work it out !) does anyone have any thoughts on this idea ?

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Simon Whitney said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Still looking good Neil, as for posting the finished builds in the last week, I think that would be a great idea.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Good work there Neil. Keep it up 🙂 . I was wondering about when the finished D-day builds should be submitted, as there's been a few in Headlines of late, but I wasn't sure if they were part of the group build or not! So yeah, I'd go with your idea to have them submitted "in a group" the week before 6 June,

• Profile Photo

Chapter Four of my Airspeed Horsa and work is progressing nicely,I have assembled the fuselage and the wings.As I am hoping to create a simple little dio which will show the glider moments before landing I had to open up the airbrakes so they can be positioned fully down,I added some detail to the airbrakes using evergreen,I didn't detail the inside of the wings as this will be hidden.

At first I started to regret my choice of kit as I have the Airfix rescue launch in the stash and thought that would have been more interesting but I'm really getting into this now .

In the words of Eric and Ernie "Whadda ya think of it so far ?" (Rubbish !)

N.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Gregor d said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Far from it Neil! Looking good, and you've made good progress with your glider. Keep it going mate 🙂

• Profile Photo

It`s looking good Neil. Near to a stage of priming soon

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Can't wait to see it painted, Neil. Especially the invasion stripes... 🙂

Your build area is a lot neater than mine!

• Profile Photo

Cheers Jaime, I actualy use my kitchen worktop for taking pictures as the light is better at the back off the house.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

I know you mentioned it at the start but this model must be big to need to mold it in three sections. When you post the assembled kit can you put something next to it to give a sense of scale?
    Looks like you have everything under control just waiting for the final results.

• Profile Photo
    Erich Goldbach said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Neil, lots of good work there for sure! keep it going and I really am looking forward to the finished model!

• Profile Photo

No problem, I have a diecast spitfire in 1/72 that I will use to give an indecation of the size.
    N.

• Profile Photo

Chapter 5 of my D Day group build project and things are moving along nicely, although the majority of the work on the glider is done I am also going to attempt a dio so really I am not even half way through.I masked up the canopy which took a while to do as there are quite a few panels and then painted it up in the interior green before fixing it in place and filling the seam, it was at this point that I found the canopy didn't really fit too well as it was too long by about 1mm which meant it didn't flow smoothly with the lines of the aircraft, my repair for this was to remove plastic from the fuselage behind the pilots seats until a better fit was achieved although this left a ragged fit which needed to be tidied up.

my usual method of painting was followed which is a coat of Halfords grey plastic primer not only to prime for painting but also to highlight any defects to be sorted before the colour goes on ,next Black for all the lower surfaces and the sides of the fuselage then masking up for the camo,I needed a straight line between the black and the camo so masking tape was used then the Blu-tack sausage method for the dark earth /green .

I am going to use acrylics only on this build as part of my move away from using enamels.

CheersN.

13 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looks like you have been having fun there Neil, why does it seem that when good progress is being made, something comes along to slow things down?
    Looking forward to seeing it in it`s diorama.
    Simon.

• Profile Photo

Cheers for looking Simes.
    N.

• Profile Photo
    AL HOFFMAN said 10 years, 1 month ago:

Getting there Neil. Think that swept wing design let it glide closer to the sound barrier?